dyno question, engine question >

dyno question, engine question

Notices

dyno question, engine question

Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a invoice i will copy it tomorrow and let you guys see it, its for dyno and carb work to the amount of 3200,00
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1 more thing i was told 700hp was not out of the question. they made barely 620 i would not even be here pissed if they were makin the power that i was told they would. i feel they built what they wanted not what i wanted, so would they want to pay a overpriced invoice for something they didnt get ? i highly doubt it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 813 Likes on 373 Posts

I feel your pain, 10 years ago I had a procharged 502 with Merlin heads and lightning headers in my Baja 272 and it ran mid 70's, the hp was estimated at about 650. I decided I wanted to run 85-90 mph and knew I needed at least 800 hp. There was only a few people around back then that could tune the mefi stuff and I decide to build a 540, I used good parts and a after market block, huge oil pan, fairly good parts that would hold up to real hp. When I was picking my camshaft and thinking about heads I called up the guy who was going to tune it and dyno it looking for advice and told him no matter what it had to make 800 hp, If I needed better heads than merlins, a huge cam, bigger supercharger,whatever, I would buy it! So I bought my cam and some other small stuff from him. When it came time to dyno it the numbers were awful, it only made 620 hp and I was really dissapointed. I was told then "those are good, real hp numbers, your boat WILL be faster than before". Well needless to say it went SLOWER. I have since used Bob M's cam reccomendations, the next time I went in that same motor I changed to afr heads and Bob said it would make 950 on the dyno, it made 945. The next time I went in the motor we were shooting for 1100, it made 1115 and we went as far as to tune the efi with blower belt off and with only 8.3-1 compression I still made 650 hp normally aspirated. There is hp left in your motor, heads are real important and so is cam choice, it is sad that you spent good money and got screwed like this, I know the drill too, you have spent so much already that now you are probably stuck running it the way it is. It pisses me off when shops overcharge and under-deliver! Smitty
Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

1500 for carb work? Yikes. Yes, for that kind of money you could have got a couple new carbs.

Id say at this point, Id be making some changes, but thru someone else. Such things like a cam change, possibly different carbs, etc, and have someone who knows how to tune it dyno it.

Might be worth a drive to Mike Tkach. One thing about Mike, since Ive got to know him, I don't think you will find a more honest person. You will get what you pay for, and not overcharged and lied to. Im certain he can go thru what you got there, and make suggestions from there to get you closer to your goals. He has a couple shops he dynos thru, and he actually does the tuning himself. He's retired, and the engine stuff is just something he loves doing.

Mike and I teamed up last winter on my engine builds. While they werent a total new build idea, more or less a rebuild with some changes. 468CI engines, B&M 420 Blowers, Dart heads, etc. Squeezed 804HP out of them. Its a low boost pump gas engine with really nothing fancy about them. Just a good combination of parts. They been running great. Had a lot of fun working with Mike too, and learned a few things along the way.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

This post (and the others ones you started on these same engines) are to vauge IMO.

My suggestion is get your story together step by step on what got you here and post it all in the beware section listing the builders name. Many have used that resource for redemtion and were taken care of.

Who chose the components to be used? Did you take any shortcuts or overide their advice? What were the excuses they gave as they missed the deadline? Did you do anything to cause a delay in the deadline?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

4bus, the builder chose the cams, intakes, lifters etc, i told him when we started this that i wanted 700hp, i took no shortcuts, i left it up to them, these guys are known for some real hp race stuff, i had some 557s built by them 6years ago and they ran perfect never had to pull a valve cover, thats why i went back to them, you pay for what you get and these guys are some of the best but for what i was charged i think i should had got what i wanted. thats a 700or over n/a 540 .
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
4bus, the builder chose the cams, intakes, lifters etc, i told him when we started this that i wanted 700hp, i took no shortcuts, i left it up to them, these guys are known for some real hp race stuff, i had some 557s built by them 6years ago and they ran perfect never had to pull a valve cover, thats why i went back to them, you pay for what you get and these guys are some of the best but for what i was charged i think i should had got what i wanted. thats a 700or over n/a 540 .
WHO was the builder?????? pm me the name and ill call them out,,i have no problems what so ever to call a person out if they do shady work or even good work and over charge for it..we work hard for our moneys and people should not be takin advantage of like that weather they are rich or poor..they had to bust their azz to get it..
Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Default Dyno

Just a question what dictated the carbs were too big did the airflow turbine show the engine cfm needed less ?
Thanks Jim

(1150's are big though but still should work.)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I agree... more info and list in the beware section. The dollars you are talking about is way out of wack not to mention the HP numbers.

"I can take a **** in a box and stamp guaranteed on it..."

Well... you know the rest...

Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper038
Just a question what dictated the carbs were too big did the airflow turbine show the engine cfm needed less ?
Thanks Jim

(1150's are big though but still should work.)
I agree. My buddys N/A solid roller 540 made 730HP with a 1050 Dominator.

Why dont we start with a couple things.

Repost the cam card
List the piston part # used
What intake is on it?
We know the BSFC numbers were off, what was the timing set at for the dyno pulls.

I still think to get 700+HP out of a N/A 540, your gonna need to turn more than 5500RPM. And its gonna need a healthy cam, lots of lift, and some good compression. At 6000RPM or so, I think the dominator carb will be at home on a 540.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.