Should I paint aluminum intake? >

Should I paint aluminum intake?

Notices

Should I paint aluminum intake?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I paint aluminum intake?

I have a 454 crate motor with the aluminum dual plane intake manifold. Should I paint the manifold in clear to protect it? If so, can I use a rattle can for the job? Like rustoleum or something? I guess I could paint it black also with the merc phantom black rattle can? I just don't want it looking worse in a couple of years due to poor paint quality. Anyone have experience doing this with the rattle can? Oh yea... I run 98% of the time in fresh water. It just seems like the finish on the intake is getting worse just sitting in my garage for 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails Should I paint aluminum intake?-100_0380_small.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The choice is yours of course. I always paint the intake, clearing it is your preference. The paint will protect it and also keep it easy to clean. I would use a alum. etching primer and a quality automotive paint that you will mix with the base, reducer and activator, you can either borrow a spray gun or buy a cheap one and do it yourself. The spray can, just doesn't hold up. You could spray the whole engine at that point.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

For fresh water why not just give it a quick dusting of WD-40 . That will keep it looking new and thwart any oxidation . Give it a spray there on your garage floor and tell me how it looks now .
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered

if you can get the intake off or if its already off, i would with out a doubt powder coat it. i built a 540 ci and powdercoated everything i could. it looked awsome and it protected it against any harse elements. for them to soda blast the old ugly peeling paint of the intake and to powder coat it clear (which came out like a really light silver) it cost me $80.00 and that was about 4 years ago. so if it were me i would powder coat. just another opion.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

paint it for sure...

valve covers look good!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I clear coated intakes before to keep them from corrosion [caused by moisture/condensation] lasting for years other than it gets yellowed from heat over the years.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daytona27
if you can get the intake off or if its already off, i would with out a doubt powder coat it. i built a 540 ci and powdercoated everything i could. it looked awsome and it protected it against any harse elements. for them to soda blast the old ugly peeling paint of the intake and to powder coat it clear (which came out like a really light silver) it cost me $80.00 and that was about 4 years ago. so if it were me i would powder coat. just another opion.
Powder coat is the way to go.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had intakes coated with high temp ceramics, exhaust header stuff . They still look like new 25 years later.

Ken
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used self etching primer and cast alluminum color spray bombs. The self etching primer is a zinc base and bonds to aluminum, the cast aluminm looks like freshly blasted cast aluminum. Never had it lift or discolor.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got a tunnel ram on my 68 Camaro, and I had it powdercoated chrome, and I believe they put clear powercoat over the top of that (can't remember). It came out really good, and has been done for about 8 years or so. It looks more like polished aluminum than chrome. And Windex keeps it clean!

Last edited by ALL_IN!; 09-21-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.