Thread sealer with Oil

Notices

Thread sealer with Oil

Old 07-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread sealer with Oil

I have my oil temp gauge mounted in the rmote oil filter bracket. Not the best place, but it was after the motor was rigged. It weeps oil, ever so slightly. What is the best thread sealant that will work against hot oil and pressure. Teflon did nothing, I tried "red" gasket sealant. What would you guys suggest?

Thanx
Old 07-12-2002, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Loc - Tite makes a thread sealent just for sending units it will allow the thread ground to work with the unit. As far as how it works on sealing I'm not sure. Isn't that a pipe thread? should seal without too much trouble I'd make sure you are using the right style threads or check for something crossed. Most likely you allready did that but never hurts to ask
Old 07-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

Try a couple of extra wraps on the teflon tape. I did my whole motor with the tape an have had no problems (I hope I didn't piss off the gods with that one!!!)...
Ken
Old 07-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jUST BE VERY CAREFULL --- with teflon tape -- it is a very good lubricant and you don't use as much torque as with ANY pipe thread sealant. You can split what you are threading into.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Registered

I use Blue blocker lquid thread sealer in a can from Home Depot.When I use it I allways make sure that the tip and the first two threads are cleaned off(use my finger) so that none of sealer works it's way forward and goes in to the port and have had no trouble with the sender not grounding or even a leak.The biggest trouble I think is overtighting it does not take a 16 inch braker bar to put in taperd thread fittings,maybe instead of saying we need to tighten them use the word snug
Old 07-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Thanx,

I'll try the what you guys recommended. I tried teflon, but it leaked and broke the ground conneciton
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i use leak lock.the best thread sealer i have ever found.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Tape/dope doesn't make the seal, the threads do. Sounds like it's been over tightened in the past or it's past it's usable life.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Loctite 542 or 569, hydraulic thread sealant. Looks a lot like 271 (red), but seems to work even if there is oil on the threads. In a pinch I have just used 271, but the threads on both parts have to be clean. The only thing I have found is that it can sometimes be a problem if you need to "tweak" the threads after the loctite has set, you are breaking the seal.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 4,302 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I thought all senders that require grounding are tapered so no sealants that diminish the ground signal have to be used? I don`t use anything on any of my senders and have no leaks.
Might be time for a new sender

Quick Reply: Thread sealer with Oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.