What am I missing?  Milkshaked Oil >

What am I missing? Milkshaked Oil

Notices

What am I missing? Milkshaked Oil

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts
Default What am I missing? Milkshaked Oil

Ran the boat last weekend and pulling on the trailer noticed foamy oil leaking out of 1,3,5,7 valve cover breather. Pulled dipstick and confirmed.

Trailered home and WARM compression tested engine.
Results less than 8% difference between all cylinders. All 170psi +.

Leakdown tested all cylinders COLD. Less than 15% leakage on all cylinders.

Leakage air coming from valvecover oil fill hole.

Pulled oil cooler and pressure tested @ 50psi with no leaks coming from oil cooler.

Pulled riser's off and inspected gaskets and water block off plates. No signs of leakage here and no visible water in manifold runners.

Pulled intake and inspected FPP 1206 intake gaskets. No visible signs of leakage here.

Reassembled engine with new intake gaskets, riser gaskets etc and flushed engine a few times to clean out milkshaked residue.

After the 3rd flush and running on the hose for 5mins it still appears to be milkshaking the oil.

Any ideas on where to go next? Anything I missed?

Is a cracked head or block possible without the leakdown or compression test showing??? Engine has never overheated.
150* normal water temps and 190-215* oil temps cruising.

Oil pressure is normal and engine runs and revs as normal.

385ci SBC AFR aluminum heads, 010 Block.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

You mention air leakage at oil fill in valve cover, but you don't mention where you are pressurizing when you get that air leakage

Did you check the lifter galley for cracks when you had the intake off?

How about running it on the hose then pulling the exhaust to see if the leakage is one particular cylinder?

I had a small crack in a head near a valve once that only leaked when the engine was warm, I found it by pulling the exhaust after running. Leakdown showed nothing.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
You mention air leakage at oil fill in valve cover, but you don't mention where you are pressurizing when you get that air leakage

Did you check the lifter galley for cracks when you had the intake off?

How about running it on the hose then pulling the exhaust to see if the leakage is one particular cylinder?

I had a small crack in a head near a valve once that only leaked when the engine was warm, I found it by pulling the exhaust after running. Leakdown showed nothing.
Air was coming from the valve cover oil fill hole when doing a standard leakdown test. Cylinder @ TDC intake stroke. Pressurizing thru spark plug hole @ 100psi. Shows standard leakage past the cold rings.

I did wipe out the lifter valley and checked for cracks. Nothing visually seen. I will try pulling the exhaust right after running it and maybe do a warm leakdown test.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a radiator tester and make adpters to pressurize the block with the intake on pour some green antifreeze in the block pump it up to 20 psi if it holds theres no leak there if it wont hold pressure look for where the green trail starts.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sounds like a head gasket pushing water back into the lifter galley as will allow air to come up thru the valve covers
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

milk shake color oil is a sign of oil water mixing. pressure check oil cooler after cleaning it with mineral sprits. when doing the leak down test pull a water hose off and listen for air or if air is coming out of the valve cover hole.

Last edited by speeddr2000; 10-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

but he ran it 5minutes thats plenty of time to mix, said he allready tested cooler.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't bother checking the cooler, if your water pressure is higher than your oil pressure you have bigger problems than milky oil a spent cooler will have oil leaving the exhaust, once enough oil exits the exhaust the pressure drops and then ( and olmy then ) will water start to replace the space that oil once was
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
get a radiator tester and make adpters to pressurize the block with the intake on pour some green antifreeze in the block pump it up to 20 psi if it holds theres no leak there if it wont hold pressure look for where the green trail starts.
I agree.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Sure it's not condensation right? this time of year that will happen where I will get a milky look on dipstick but the actual oil is clean and normal, I know its a stupid suggestion but you never know..

Head bolts seeping past threads?
cracked head
intake to head not seated properly or milled wrong if the heads are milled can cause it...
no corrosion under intake that would allow it to enter valley?

just a few oddball things to look at...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.