Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can oil pressure readings vary much from one spot to another. >

Can oil pressure readings vary much from one spot to another.

Notices

Can oil pressure readings vary much from one spot to another.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can oil pressure readings vary much from one spot to another.

Im getting a lower oil pressure reading in my old (89) dash gauge, dropped 10lbs over this season. So I hooked a mechanical one up to the back top of the block and the reading there is fine (20lbs higher).
Can there be a difference from just above the oil pad ( stock sending unit) compared to the top back of the block?
I didn't hook it up at/above oil filter pad because I wanted to compare the two and its a little bit of a pain to get to.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My elec oil pressure gauge varys and drops down to about 50lbs from 65 abover 4300 to wfo 5500 down at the oil pad. I have a Dart SHP block with priority main. Up at the distributor, it says at 65 and doesn't vary at all. No clue why, but at least I'm not crazy. BTW I have a SBC.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i dont trust the electric oil pressure guages,mechanical is much more accurate.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

Thanks guys

I wanted to make sure the oil pressure should be the same thru out the motor if read at a different spot. Was going to pull the motor because I was getting a reading of 45lbs on my Elec dash gauge at wide open throttle. The mechanical at top of the block is showing 67 at wide open throttle. Guess im good as I talked to an engine builder and said im fine.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I think it would vary in different parts of the block. Pressure should be the highest after it leaves the pump and before the greatest restriction. Pressure could be lower on the backside of the greatest restriction. Maybe higher before the crank and lower before the lifter valley. It is not a closed pressure system.

Agree electric gauges and senders do go bad. Mechanical are the best.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pascal's Law, Pascal's law or the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure is a principle in fluid mechanics that states that pressure exerted anywhere in a confined incompressible fluid is transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid such that the pressure ratio (initial difference) remains the same. The law was established by French mathematician Blaise Pascal.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I understand pascals law, but that would be on a closed (confined) system. Oil running out the tops of pushrods leaking back to the block/tank is not a closed system. It should have the capability of max pressure after the highest restriction but if the restriction is not there it won't make the pressure. Not refuting just wondering. If it takes 80PSI to get through the crank but only needs 50PSI through the lifters I don't see it attaining the 80PSI after the crank.

I also could be looking at this all wrong though.

Last edited by Rookie; 10-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
I think it would vary in different parts of the block. Pressure should be the highest after it leaves the pump and before the greatest restriction. Pressure could be lower on the backside of the greatest restriction. Maybe higher before the crank and lower before the lifter valley. It is not a closed pressure system.

Agree electric gauges and senders do go bad. Mechanical are the best.
I figured for sure it would vary in different locations. Maybe I should do a search how oil is routed thru a motor. Or I should just hook up my mechanical gauge to the other pain in the azz spot to get to.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spin them out.

Last edited by Pinkley933; 10-06-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it has been my experiance that no matter where you attach a mechanical perssure guage,the pressure reading will be the same within a few lbs,atleast on a bog block chevy engine.i have tried it on the pad above the filter,in any of the threaded areas that oil flows through,and at the oil thermostat block[sc800 merc].we must remember that pressure is caused by resistance of flow,and in the case of an engine,the oil pump is capabal of producing more flow,and pressure,but has a bypass valve .the total pressure is changable with shims or different springs in the pump.what is important is the pressure in the oil gallys in the block,they feed oil to all aspects if the oiling system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.