Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
lightning headers >

lightning headers

Notices

lightning headers

Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Mine are 14 years old and just sent them in to be checked.They are still in excellent condition and I have a 242/252 @ .050" with a 112 degree LSA roller cam and no reversion. They seem to have a good drop from the bend to where the water is introduced. I've never seen a complaint on OSO, they'll be on my next boat.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ss steel or steel headers

Are the headers that you folks have had good results with made of steel or stainless steel
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPT NITRONIC
Are the headers that you folks have had good results with made of steel or stainless steel
Mine are steel.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Mine are Steel also.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Navy
Mine are steel.
Yours are actually steel on the outside tubes and 304L stainless on the inside tubes:
"Our fresh water header starts with mandrel bent 304L stainless steel interior tubes. The standard tube headers use 2" OD primary tubes. Our big tube headers use 2 1/4" OD primary tubes. The exterior tubes are mandrel bent heavy wall steel tubing. The standard headers use 2 1/2" tube. The big tube headers use 2 3/4" tube. By using large diameter exterior tube this leaves a generous water jacket area that runs the entire length of the tube. This is essential for a long service life. Next the exterior tubes are mechanically etched prior to assembly. During assembly the complete header is TIG welded and a custom alloy welding rod is used in all critical areas. Finally a corrosion resistant silicone ceramic coating is applied to the interior of the header while the exterior receives a black power coat finish. Colors are optional. Headers come complete with aluminum water distribution tubes, gaskets, hose, clamps, bolts etc."
The salt water versions use a better grade of stainless on both the inside and outside tubes, 316L verses 304L on only the inside tubes of the freshwater versions, Smitty
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I have had good luck with mine. 10 years in fresh water. They good power and last. Mine are the steel outers with ss inner pipes.