Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing Tank on Formula 302 LS, How to do without foam? >

Replacing Tank on Formula 302 LS, How to do without foam?

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Replacing Tank on Formula 302 LS, How to do without foam?

Foam is a water magnet on these boat. I do not want to use foam again.

The tank originally sat on vinyl stripes on the bottom of the boats Vee. Foam was them pored in around the tank. The tank is anchored by bracket on the top. The tank has the same angle as the boat hull, but the middle section (~12") is flat. I want to glass in a short flat structure to hold he tank's flat area and not use foam. I will use vinyl between the tank and everything it touches. My concern is I do not want the glassed in structure to "print" on the bottom of the boat. Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

foam is quik and easy and will last the warranty. that's why so many factories use it. the best way, from what i have read is polyethylene strips about 1.5 by 1/4 inch running from keel up, not fore and aft. about a foot apart. lets all water drain to bilge. if you build a pad on the bottom for the flat edge, make sure it drains as well. my only tank job was poly tanks in my 34 hatteras. water on the outside of them is no issue. they are gaining in popularity but they have no baffles.