Fountain or Baja is the question >

Fountain or Baja is the question

Notices

Fountain or Baja is the question

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
These Fountain exaggerations regarding length is just ridiculous.

My boat is parked next to my buddies 38 Cigarette in the storage building. He has a bolt on platform on his cig. Saturday, I took a look at our prop nuts, standing from the side. Both prop nuts were within inches, maybe 2'' of each other. Then I walked to the front, and took a look, the tip of the beak on my boat was about even with the nose of his boat.

Theres something most people fail to look at, when the jump on the beak bandwagon. Take a look at a Fountain, from a side view. Where the line from the beak to the waterline is. It is very steep. Bajas, cigarettes, and other makes, this line is very gradual. Its all about running surface. Waterline to water line, my boat and my buddies 38 cig are close. Even if he has 1ft on me, my hull was originally called a 36FT Fever. Until the coast guard mandated the platform be included if it was part of the mold. So if anything, at the time, Fountain was being modest with its length. And to be honest, at 70,80,90, or 100mph, that one or two feet of length really doesnt mean squat. I'll take a good bottom design, balanced hull, over something that is just 1-2ft longer.

Platform to platform rafted up, our boats are almost identical, where the engine room bulkhead is, bolsters, and even fairing. My cockpit is a bit roomier, (fever), and the cig has me beat in the cabin department. Main thing is his layout, and the hull sides on a fountain get progessivley narrower on a fountain from the rub rail down. Where the cig is straight down from the rail, and then slightly angles in near the bottom.

Anyhow, to get off that soapbox, and back to the original question. Both the baja and fountain would be great boats for what your looking to do. If you forsee yourself wanting to go fast, the Fountain is the hull you want to do it in. The 500HP engine is a good engine, and when the time comes to add things, like better heads, supercharger, etc, you can. It has good parts inside, and based on the common 502 block, that they make a million parts for. The 496 is a great engine, but really not much on the table aftermarket wise.

You should have no problem planing pulling a tube with a stock 29 Fountain setup, esp with the right prop.

Personally, Id buy the boat with over 30 years of Championship offshore racing heritage, numerous world titles, numerous speed records, numerous boat of the year awards. If I was standing on the dock, and got invited to go on a 90mph ride in either one of those boats, I'd hop on the Fountain.
Very well said!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
if you line up the platforms my 28 pantera (bolt on platform) is as long as my friends 32 fever. he bought a nice boat. its a 92 32 but had very nice updates and was in great shape. fountians are great boats. but baja has come a long way too. drive them both and see what one you like better. buy the boat that meets your needs the best.
A 28 Pantera is 30 feet long with platform tip to tip ,,a 32 Fever is 32 feet long tip to tip

both nice boats
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered

Here are the ads listed.

fountain http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/15605

baja http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...law-Sst-342140

Fountain has dual ram hydro steering, baja is cable. Fountain has real k-planes,. baja has flat stock tabs. Fountain has side mounted bolsters, baja has 4 pt floor mount. Fountain has an XR drive, baja has an X. Fountain will have superior wind protection. Baja will most likely have more cu ft in cabin Rigging and wiring go to the fountain, the fountain is not the best wiring and rigging out there, but the baja might be the worst.

I don't know how any of your guys can claim the Baja is a bigger boat, look at the pics. How many 25/26 bajas came with twin big blocks like the 29 fountain did? BTW, the single 29 is the way to go IMO.

Both boats are clean and accessoried well, from the pics it looks as if they both had good previous owners.

Last edited by 4bus; 10-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by rod2dknee
I would like to down the road to purchase some mods to increase speed on both boats a lil bit but nothing major..
This is the only sentence I needed to read. Both are good boats for what you want to do, but you can not upgrade the 496 without having a s#it ton of money into it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys im not trying to start a war here between the two boats... I know both are nice rides.. would everyone just check the boats out on the sites that i listed them on and by looking at the boats, their options and equipment please give honest opinions on the boat they like.. i know it will in the end determine what i want to go with but i just want opinions from people that know both boats very well... Thanks and i look forward to everyones reply..
The sites the boats are listed on is on page 2 on this post... Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Obviously I would go with the Fountain, but if you want to go tubing I would get a different boat. At the speed you will be tubing you will be trying to get on plane.

The pic of the Baja looks like it has a small cockpit area. If you get a single engine boat with a 496 as soon as someone passes you on the lake you will want to go faster. My old boat had a 496ho and it was great but I like having a little more power and speed.

Last edited by rw40426; 10-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Thats what im looking for 4BUS... Your honest opinion with documentation to support it... Thanks for your time and help... It is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=4bus;3792153]

Fountain has dual ram hydro steering, baja is cable. Fountain has real k-planes,. baja has flat stock tabs. Fountain has side mounted bolsters, baja has 4 pt floor mount. Fountain has an XR drive, baja has an X. QUOTE]

Enough said for me. Cable steering, Id cross it off my list.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rod2dknee
Thats what im looking for 4BUS... Your honest opinion with documentation to support it... Thanks for your time and help... It is greatly appreciated!!!!
One other thing, IMO the fountain at $70k asking price is too much in this market. I don't know where the exact number should be, but give pier 57 a call and they will tell you what it is really worth.

For camparison (I know the paint is ugly) this 42 full staggered 2001 with speedmaster lowers is only asking $9k more

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ning-101843368

Thinking that 29 should be in the $50's
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Ok maybe i should mention that 4bus.. The fountain owner will take 61k for it and the OL owner will take 52,500 for it.. I feel the better deal is with the OL.... Like stated both boats are equipped very nicely LIKE I WANT but i dont want to overpay for a boat.. Pier 57 had a 29 fever on their site with the sale pending for 59k... It is a nice boat but it doesnt have the accessories this fountain has.. Thanks for your opinion and input 4 bus...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.