Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system! >

Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system!

Notices

Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

heres a amp that will push those subs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Amps-USA...item1c2b524ea4
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
stay away from the MBquart Onyx line, all garbage! Trust me.

Those square subs they have out, just total trash. Cheap stuff with what used to be a good name stamped on them, they sold out.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
heres a amp that will push those subs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Amps-USA...item1c2b524ea4
Love the old school stuff. One of the stereos I did for a friend he asked if I could use his existing amps, I usually say no but he pulled out 3 of the 4.5 ft long old school Orion HCCA amps...the ones they used to arc weld with for demos. We used one at 1 ohm on 2 solo L7s, just amazingly clean loud power.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe27baja
I love the L 5 & L 7s if you have an assload of power to push them... but he started it all off by saying he was on a tight budget and I think I gave him the best advice possible.
and this is just "in my opinion" I love ported enclosures in a closed room or car but in a boat /open top I just do not care for them at all.... but everyone ears are different.
at least he's getting some really good advice from everyone
You know how budgets work in this sport

BTW, that is a nice looking gun you have there!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
You know how budgets work in this sport

BTW, that is a nice looking gun you have there!
I hear ya.... I got my boat and I was just going to clean it up and just enjoy it. I rebuit both motors and while I was there I decided build them to handle boost so all the goodies went in there just incase, and then I put some blower scoops on it. I told my wife that the scoops would help let air in and keep the engines cooler making them last longer.... I am about to installl some CMI big tubes and 5" tails...(she thinks to make the motors breath better and get better gas milage)
I sold my drives so I could buy some Steelings boxes and Bravo XRs (to make it more reliable) Im so glad my wife does not have and clue....so now im looking for a pair of 8-71s and I started off on a budget too

Thanks for comment...I think it does not look bad ether for a 23 year old

Last edited by joe27baja; 10-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I did a extremely cheap "budget" stereo a couple years ago using all JL and Alpine, sounds damn good too..... I bought it all used and going on 3 years with no issues at all....

3 JL MArine 10's
JL 1000/1 amp
JL 300/4 amp
4 Alpine 6x9
2 Alpine tweeters

For that amount of parts it sounds absolutely amazing and I have less then 600.00 in whole system, placement of speakers plays a huge role as was stated, get the mids and highs as high as possible.... I have friends that have a chitload more invested and they cannot believe how mine sounds, its not the best but it does a great job and was very "budget" with quality parts....

Sounds better in the Cig then it did the Baja since the Cig is not rotted and absorbed all the sub sounds... LOL
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay is your friend for audio stuff. I hardly use it for anything other than that anymore. Also, sonicelectronix is about half what the local stereo guy wants. Probably some gray-market stuff that fell of a container ship, but it works. Just for reference, I had an alpine pdx 600w amp running 2 Alpine free air 10s, and everything else (12 speakers) was Polk MM 5.5-6x9s run by JL 6 channel amp, and if you stood in the cockpit, it would make your ears bleed with absolutely clean and clear sound. The only thing that sucked was the minute you jumped off the swim platform, a wakeboard boat would come along with 27 spark-o-matic speakers on a tower and blow you out of the water. I'm trying to figure out how to get a couple of really nice speakers (like the JL7.7s) that I can either have in a freestanding encolsure I can store, then throw on the sunpad, or mount on a pole behind the front bolsters.
And BTW 4bus, I'm starting from scratch with a 98 32 Fountain, so any brain power would be appreciated...I don't want to hijack the thread, so send me a PM.

Last edited by txtraveller2002; 10-12-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, 4bus has provided me with some great advice so far!

I've been picking up some stuff already.

-Sony head unit with wired remote CDX-M60UI
-Pair of Kicker L7, dual 4ohm voice coils, 12"
-A ported box (coated with resin) that will fit under my seat
- Kicker ZX 1500.1 to power the subs
-Rockford Fosgate M282 8" 2 way speakers

Am thinking about the polk audio MM 6501 for some highs.

I'm lucky and have an arch (never thought I'd say that lol!), so will probably mount a pair of speakers on the arch so you can hear them OUTSIDE the cockpit. I agree, its hard to have a good system when youre not in the cockpit.

Last edited by Rambocj7; 10-12-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Just adding the tweeters high alone added a ton to hear from outside the cockpit... we can be 50ft away at bar and still hear it...including bass....love good stereos!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Yeah, 4bus has provided me with some great advice so far!

I've been picking up some stuff already.

-Sony head unit with wired remote CDX-M60UI
-Pair of Kicker L7, dual 4ohm voice coils, 12"
-A ported box (coated with resin) that will fit under my seat
- Kicker ZX 1500.1 to power the subs
-Rockford Fosgate M282 8" 2 way speakers

Am thinking about the polk audio MM 6501 for some highs.

I'm lucky and have an arch (never thought I'd say that lol!), so will probably mount a pair of speakers on the arch so you can hear them OUTSIDE the cockpit. I agree, its hard to have a good system when youre not in the cockpit.
I have 4 of the DB6501 in my fountain, I could not hear a difference at the store from the upgraded MM6501, however they demo'd them from the same amp. I would rate the speakers a 9/10 for sound quality, there are a few out there that are bettter, but not many. Also a plus that they are marine rated. The only thing I stick to for marine is the miod high speakers. Make sure you use SS fastners in place of the steel ones they send.

What is your budget for the mid high amp? I know of a few 4 channel amps that can be bridged out to run 8 speakers stable all day. Let me know how much you want to spend.

Also....you just have to find a place for a pair of these, just awesome, and they can be heard from I think 2 miles away....hahah

http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-OPTIBT7...=super+tweeter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.