Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What performance ignition does everyone run? >

What performance ignition does everyone run?

Notices

What performance ignition does everyone run?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What performance ignition does everyone run?

I've got a MSD box that is going out and was told that if I plan to run MSD I should always carry a spare because they ALWAYS go out. Marine box or not they can't handle boating. He suggested that I just go back to the original merc. distr. set-up. Im running a 502 and gonna put a blower, probably a 10-71with just 8psi boost, on it. Nothing crazy but I want plenty of room for power improvements later. I was wondering what most of you run?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Drinkin fountian
I've got a MSD box that is going out and was told that if I plan to run MSD I should always carry a spare because they ALWAYS go out. Marine box or not they can't handle boating. He suggested that I just go back to the original merc. distr. set-up. Im running a 502 and gonna put a blower, probably a 10-71with just 8psi boost, on it. Nothing crazy but I want plenty of room for power improvements later. I was wondering what most of you run?
I've been running a MSD 6AL since 1992 with no problems. I've heard of more problems with the marine version. Just my experience though.

The 6AL is coupled with a MSD Coil, Wires and Stock Merc TBIV Distributor and 22* advance module. IMO simplicity and reliability at it's best.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from DUI, I have DUI and am changing them out, shaft and star wheel were not attached securely causing erratic timing and I detonated three pistons ! Fixed that and advance weights came loose destroying cap rotor and advance module, lots of fun running on one motor for 25 miles!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD 6 Marine version.

Nothing wrong with the later thunderbolt systems.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

For what you are building, MSD will be your best choice. I have never heard of an MSD box "going out." Normally, they either work or they don't.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About 15 years ago I ran a 6 al. Second time out it took a crap. I took it apart and a componet had broken off the board. I replaced it with a 6m the marine version and have never had a problem since. Be sure to connect the power wires from it directly to the battery. I also heard it's best to keep them as short as possible. I mounted mine on the transom right by the battery so the wires are only maybe 15" long.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

What He said^ and stay away from the new stuff,MSD sold out to China which sucks,I too need to find an alternative.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...SaN9OQ&cad=rja

Last edited by Flyin-Bryan; 10-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running DUI's...have run them in the past with no issues. I see quite a few of them on stock and performance boats here and in the Caribbean.

I have run Mallory and MSD in my drag cars...they work great in a dry predictable environment but I am dubious about their durability offshore. I ALWAYS carry a spare conventional distributor with me running back and forth to the Bahamas...there is no way I depend on any of the exotics out of site of land.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

I also run DUI's unless you are supercharging or running crazy RPM's, I honestly don't get the need for fancy boxes and such. A stand alone distributor is all you need. I think they are pretty trick little pieces. The post above is the first problem I've heard with them, that is an unfortunate case I'd guess and a real bummer! I originally put an MSD on it that promptly died, though I've always had good luck with MSD's on my performance cars.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock merc with a mallory hp 80000 volt coils.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.