More power options? >

More power options?

Notices

More power options?

Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power options?

Hello guys, i have twin mercruisers 5.7 vortec engines along with bravo 1 drives. Since i have the vortec heads, woul it make sense to upgrade the intake manifolds and carbs to a 4 bbl carb, every one tells me something diferent is there any realistic power increase, now im turning 19" vengeance props i just ordered some mirages 21 an i was told there migth not be enough power any feddback? The bat is a 28' bowrider searay the motors nare marked 260 hp thanks for yor help in advance!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just doing a carbs and intake there isn't going to be a noticeable difference except spending a bunch of money
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

upgrade intake-exhausts-camshaft. will get about 300-325. just intake-carb, don't bother. but a boat like that has a top speed that all the extra power in the world will have very little effect on.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cam change with a carb and intake upgrade will give you around 150~200 more HP in the water....and you will feel it. If you can do the work yourself you might get way with $2500. if you pay a mechanic...figure $4500~$5000.

It's not worth it in that boat.

Now...if you stumble on a pair of good 6.2 MPI take-outs for less than $10K....drop them in your Sea Ray and you will have a strong runner.

Otherwise...run what you have and enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Thanks very much guys , i think for that much money i will keep it the same it hits high 50's rigth now with 6 on board so. My older boat needit maitance all the time ( volvo pentas) i guess im missing working on the boat luccklythis boat runs flawless every time, it was my excuse to get dirty, i can di the cams , i take and carb, but i was hoping to be arround 1500$ or so .... And like everyone said it will be 2 or 3 mph faster... I wi,, save money to buy a faster boat ! Thansk very much for the input!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the 5.7 2bbl Vortec engine is exactly the same as a 350 Mag except for the intake and carb(350 mag uses efi). Switching to a good 4bbl intake and 600 cfm carb will give you a solid 40+ hp increase per engine. Pretty good bang for the buck.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Oh oh ! Here we go again, no ofense intended. I heard from a ouple of mechanics the same, but off ourse they tell me what i want to hear, i was thinking the edelbrock performer intake and 1409 carb, and maybe later on the cams, las boat had twin 5.0 vortec and because they were volvo all i did was remove the 4 to 2 barrel adapter , put a spacer and bolt on the new carbs, (1409). The boat ran somewaht good, it used to plane ok as lomg as i dint open the trothle all the way, if i did it bogged for 1 or 2 seconds then started to build up rpm. I hope because this is a 5.7 i wont have that problem, it runs so good now, but i would love to have the extra horse to turn the extra prop | thanks again for your time in advance to all of you guys.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Now as far as the boat it has a deadrise of 21 dry weigth is 6400 is 28' long, twin bravo 1 and trim tabs, so im hoping the hull dhould handle more speed with ease, at top speed 58 or so it feels awesome, i boat in clearwater mostly intercoastal so the seas are usually calml, thanks again¡