Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1996 mercuriser 7.4 still no spark >

1996 mercuriser 7.4 still no spark

Notices

1996 mercuriser 7.4 still no spark

Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the little center piece in the center of the Dist cap need to proturde down from the cap
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

replace ecm relay,,,
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

replaced both relays and oil pressure sensor also , no spark still , then i unpluged the relays and pulled on the wires unpluged the ecm , pluged it back in and it started ran perfect for one min and tryed to quit , so i restarted it again and it quit again after about a min , so i started it and when i tryed to quit i started pulling on wires and it stayed running ten minutes , so i tryed to get it to quit by pulling on the same wires as before didnt quit so i started to mess witht the pigtail that goes to the vst elect pump and when i kinked the wires it died , so started the motor again stayed runnning so i messed with the wires again and it died again , now wont start again no spark, also i checked the fuel pump wires with an ohm meter and they checked out fine , i dont get it , anyone have any other things i can check and by the way the Dist checks out fine
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the fuses and inspect each socket for signs of heat distortion or corrosion, do the same for the relay sockets. I have seen where corrosion causes high resistance and burnt connectors and melted wire at the fuse block and relay socket connectors.

You might hunt for a harness take off for an early 454 or 502 with VST, they are the same and shouldn't be much.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

pull your connectors apart and look for cracked plastic inside the plugs, they can sometimes ground each other out,,,you can also disconnect the plugs by a few inches,and run jump wires between each connector,,this worked years ago on a car engine no one could figure out
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCRUISER-B...dd64f8&vxp=mtr

comes with mef1 ecu
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Registered

will try that , thanks for the help guys
Old 10-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Spark now , took out Dist and took it to a dyno shop and had them test it , it had no spark they told me the pickup coil was bad , so we they took a closer look at it and the green wire came out of the coil so the connection was bad , they said that explanes the inntermitted spark , so going to put it back in today , that was a new pickup coil from mercruiser , crossing my fingers will up date tomorrow and thanks again for all the help
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

good luck,,let us know how it turns out
Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Registered

PROBLEM SOLVED now have a working motor , thanks to all the help from you guys much appericated