Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Winterizing and intercoolers >

Winterizing and intercoolers

Notices

Winterizing and intercoolers

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

As long as water has room to expand when freezing then even small amounts will have no affect. As for condensation and thats a real lot of condensation, like a steam bath, if it makes you feel better just leave the drain plugs out. (I keep them in a zip lock bag on top of the motor so they wont be lost.)
I've been doing this for a couple decades now. Just the last couple years we have had the coldest winter and the most snow in a winter here. At one point there was so much snow that the smaller boats were just snow bumps in the yard for months on end. Come spring, hook the hoses back up. Put the plugs back in and off the ramp they went.
You all can do it anyway you want. Like the old saying, there is more then one way to skin a cat.
But for me my boats sit 25 feet from my water well head and there is not a shot that I will be even using the non toxic antifreeze while it drips all winter. Then there is what do you do when it's time to get things started again. Blow it out on the lot you are on or even worse the body of water you are on? I know some will say that they have a capture system for it but if most will be honest you are dumping it where your boat is. Non toxic or not unless you can put it in a glass on ice its not being used.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, where's the place to buy Serria anti freeze at? Would I be under the assumption that you put that in your blocks as well if your using it in the intercoolers or are you using something else in the blocks?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by osur866
Ok, where's the place to buy Serria anti freeze at? Would I be under the assumption that you put that in your blocks as well if your using it in the intercoolers or are you using something else in the blocks?
yes i use it in everything marine related,,napa or pep boys is about the only place i can think of...the stuff from west marine is not to bad,,the 100 below will start to freeze @ -50 according to my refractor..