Ke pump or electric? >

Ke pump or electric?

Notices

Ke pump or electric?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Ke pump or electric?

Upgrading to 420 megablowers and need to upgrade my fuel system as well. I have gen 5 blocks with sea pump mounted pumps.

Should I use the keith eickhart upgrade kits or just go with a good electric pump? I like the reliability of the mechanical pumps but seems like a decent amount of money for not much.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with electric. My KE pump is at its limit on my 525sc. I think last summer with a boatload of people it made a lean pop, when I looked at the fuel pressure gage it was after I instinctively pulled back the stick and it said 3 psi. I plan to upgrade soon to electric.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would use both the KE pump and an electric pump. Bring them together in a manifold right off of the mech. pump. We just make a manifold that screws into the mech pump that has 3 fittings in it. One fitting is for the electric pump to come into and the other 2 go to the carb, one to each bowl. You can use a Holley red pump with one wrap cut from the internal bypass spring. That will lower its pressure to about 5 psi. This way you won't even need a regulator.
I've attached a pic of the manifold. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Ke pump or electric?-dsc02234-large-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Eddie thank you for the reply. Is this for redundancy? I would imagine a good aeromotive pump would be used if it were just for volume?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I would use both the KE pump and an electric pump. Bring them together in a manifold right off of the mech. pump. We just make a manifold that screws into the mech pump that has 3 fittings in it. One fitting is for the electric pump to come into and the other 2 go to the carb, one to each bowl. You can use a Holley red pump with one wrap cut from the internal bypass spring. That will lower its pressure to about 5 psi. This way you won't even need a regulator.
I've attached a pic of the manifold. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Eddie
That is a nice piece. What size are the AN fittings?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Teague sells several different styles of those fuel manifolds. 8AN
http://teaguecustommarine.com/index....manifolds.html

Last edited by picklenjim; 10-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Eddie thank you for the reply. Is this for redundancy? I would imagine a good aeromotive pump would be used if it were just for volume?
It is for not only redundancy, but also so that you can run smaller pumps. You don't have to have a huge electric pump nor a huge mechanical. If the electric pump fails, you can still get it home on the mechanical. You may not be able to run wide open, but you will get back. Either pump would be borderline by themselves, but together they work great.

Originally Posted by Old Navy
That is a nice piece. What size are the AN fittings?
These are all #8. The bottom (black) hose is from the electric pump. The (2) braided hoses go to each of the bowls in the carb.

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Teague sells several different styles of those fuel manifolds. 8AN
http://teaguecustommarine.com/index....manifolds.html
Yes they do. They can make any config. you want. THey also have a nice fuel filter head that has 1 inlet and 2 outlets. You can run one of the outlets to each pump. It makes pulmbing really easy.

Eddie
Old 10-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I run Holly reds elect pumps on all (3) of the Gen V motors I have in boats. For what you pay for one of those water pump /fuel pump combos you could buy one of the best pumps on the market and still have money left over.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

I already have the drive setup and 1 of each pump. So it's not going to be that much $$