Reduce fuel pump noise >

Reduce fuel pump noise

Notices

Reduce fuel pump noise

Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Reduce fuel pump noise

Anyone do anything to reduce electric fuel pump noise? My Weldon fuel pumps are mounted to the stringers and make a surprisingly high amount of noise. Has anyone made mounts to suppress noise. Or have any other way to reduce the noise? Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I also mounted mine on the stringers but used rubber washers in between the stringer and pump and again between pump and fastener. Works almost as good as a rubber isolator but they still can be heard.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best way is to utilize the rubber isolator mount as AO31 has mentioned, but you've got to be careful to make sure everything is isolated as they'll use the stringer or bulkhead or any support they're mounted to as a "tuning fork" and you'll not only hear them but possibly feel them. Most can "feel" them, but not hear them above the exhaust.

The sound you're hearing is the tool steel blades moving within the tool steel pumping element at a rather high rpm and about the only way to truly "quiet" them down is to use the 14000 pump controller on them to reduce the volume of fuel being moved through them when the full capacity of the pump is not required (i.e idling, docking, etc). The 14000 is a pulse control box that controls pump operation. But as most can attest, not an absolute requirement.

Also, make sure that you don't "wash" the pumps down, avoid any direct spray of water on the pump's motor as other damage can or will occur.

If the pumps do begin to make an odd nosie, such as cavitation, then the inlet filter could be clogged or contaminated and should be changed. if the pump sounds as though its straining or you experience a burned fuse or popped breaker, look at the outlet filter. This is a 10 micron paper cellulose filter which really doesn't like mositure and will restrict the flow of the fuel pump even though the fuel system's pressure is right where it should be.

thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the isolators, but wondered about the possibility of building some boxes with sound deadening insulation but was concerned about the heat build-up. Ill have to check out the pump controller. My stringers are like tuning forks.

Jim how complicated are the pump controllers to install with a mefi ecu?

Last edited by SkiDoc; 10-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

What about strategically places dyno-mat sound deadening material? Experiment with small pieces near the pump, you would be surprised how well this stuff can stuff harmonic vibration
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Registered

4Bus, that's the type of material I was thinking about. I'll give it a try and post some results.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Check McMaster Carr for Lord mounts

Jeff
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Registered

I also mounted mine on the stringers but used rubber washers in between the stringer