trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap..... >

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Notices

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO that boat is worth about half of what he is asking. You have to assume you will have to tear down both motors. You probably won't but you never know. I think your list is a worst case but that is the way you HAVE to look at it in order to make sure you don't get burned. Even if the guy got the motors up and running you would have to sea trial the boat in order to put load on them to make sure you don't have oil preasure issues once they get warm and run with a load at high RPM's.

Jon
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jon. I do have to say the outside of these motors, and everything else in the bilge for that matter, look like they did in '87. No paint peeling, rust,......nothing. Even things like the water pump pulley bolt heads look new...and they aren't. My point here is, if moisture from temp changes etc.didn't attack the outside of anything that never saw oil, then perhaps the insides of the motors are in good order. Just a thought?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by motocop
Thanks Jon. I do have to say the outside of these motors, and everything else in the bilge for that matter, look like they did in '87. No paint peeling, rust,......nothing. Even things like the water pump pulley bolt heads look new...and they aren't. My point here is, if moisture from temp changes etc.didn't attack the outside of anything that never saw oil, then perhaps the insides of the motors are in good order. Just a thought?
if thats the case then you may want to bring a 5/8 socket and a 1/2'' breaker bar and see if he engines turn over by hand but dont turn them too far with out putting oil in the cylinders first..you will also need to drain the fuel tank or even remove it to have it boiled to get all the tarnish out of it..
Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

I agree. The tank will have to come out for cleaning as well as carb rebuilds. Oil each cylinder through plug holes and pull distributors to prime motors by spinning oil pumps with a drill. Then give it some fire and see what happens. I'm thinking this can be done with a portable gas can to temporarily run them.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

You really think that boat is worth all that work? On top of the high end of the spectrum price? Take away the fact I have one for sale, that's s lot of work to do to a boat that is priced 4-5000 too high
Old 10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered

Perhaps its not. I figured the best way to find out would be to ask the folks who know these boats the best. Yours is nice but I'm really after a 350 Mag boat. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

no problem, everyone has there own taste. That was my advice even if i didnt have one for sale.
May I ask why you'd prefer a small block alpha boat? I'll sell mine minus power and drives very cheap.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

No replacement for displacement.....

With that out of the way......

I was where you are now about ten years ago.....looking for a specific boat.

I flew to ca, Texas, az and nv looking at what I thought was a good opportunity.

Four really important tools accompanied me on each trip....
Bore scope
Pyrometer
Dvm
Compression gauge

Specific to formula, look under the step as you head into the cabin. If you see stains or rot, negotiate down.
Look under the forward berth where the fresh water holding tank is. Sign of leaks or rot, negotiate down.
Look at the area between the settee where the sheeter is. Traditionally, this is another area where you can find a way to reduce the asking price...

Traditional extra items.....
Check one hinge pin. If you cant free it, negotiate down.
Thoroughly inspect the tab rams. If they are the square in the middle two piece, you can't rebuild them. Also look at all four of the indicator cables....making certain they are good.....at the aft connections.

I found my sr-1 in LOTO......and stole it due to all aforementioned
items.....legitimate concerns.

I did get a positive surprise last week......a decade later....
Someone before me swapped heads on my 420's to 308 iron eagles
Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

north jersey. http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3296760908.html
Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

I've got an interesting one for you, a co-worker has a 272, I believe it's an 89' with 320hp 350 MPI's in it. He swears they are original and that it was custom ordered that way (I didn't think they had MPI's back then). We were just talking last week about putting things away for the winter. Not sure the price he is looking to get for it in the spring, but I think it's lower than what you are talking. I know very little about the boat except from a bit away it always looks super clean and stored on a hoist.

I can ask him about it if you want. It's in S.E. Michigan.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 10-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.