Measures To Take When Having Major Mechanical Work Done >

Measures To Take When Having Major Mechanical Work Done

Notices

Measures To Take When Having Major Mechanical Work Done

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno is best 1000$ you can spend on an engine you have rebuilt.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by romie
Dyno is best 1000$ you can spend on an engine you have rebuilt.

BINGO

Thats why we invested in something that will never pay for itself, but what a nice tool to have.
Attached Thumbnails Measures To Take When Having Major Mechanical Work Done-dsc01338.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by riverrat
around here a dyno session is $500.00 for the whole day of use with there tuner/operator, we have 5 dyno/engine shops to pick from within 8 miles.Why is it the best $1000 spent are you concerned with oil leaks, rings seating,tune ?
Jeff A.
becuase it is the closest thing to insurance you are going to get.

everbody screws up and everybody makes a mistake... so... what better time to find out if thats the case then before you introduce a lot of varibles and clouded liabilities than BEFORE it goes in the boat ? ideally you pick a shop that has their OWN dyno so it doesn't cost you more ... but even if you have to spend the money how much better can it get for 500 or whatever it costs you ?
you get the motor completely set up and tuned...
you get it fully broken in and ready to go
you get to see all the temps and pressures
you get to confirm the performace promises
everybody sees it start and run and not make noise or blow up after a coupe of hours
you get to do a leakdown when its done to make sure everything is good up top and you get to cut open the filter to make sure everything is good down below..

you leave the facility with a " plug and play " deal. no screwing around with any ancillaries or systems . hook up the oil lines, ignition and fuel and drive it away. no babying it for the first 4 hours because the breakin procedure is already done under controlled conditions...

none of this... " gee we started it and it had no oil pressure " or gee we tried to time it and now all the pistons are burned " or the usual litany of complaints that occur when a motor gets installed from zero time by the end user.

this discussion started about warrantees... now... with that in mind , do a quick search... how many threads are there here that start with " i installed my new motor and it has no oil pressure " only to find out that they have the oil lines backwards... or how many threads that start with... " does anyone know what these timing marks mean ?"

now... when their NEXT thread starts with... " MY AHOLE engine builder won't warantee my motor..."

thats why serious builders have their own dyno and those that don't, for whatever reason, use a service... and why the vast majority of self inflicted issues that surface here could be eliminated before the motor ever got near the boat.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevesxm
becuase it is the closest thing to insurance you are going to get.

everbody screws up and everybody makes a mistake... so... what better time to find out if thats the case then before you introduce a lot of varibles and clouded liabilities than BEFORE it goes in the boat ? ideally you pick a shop that has their OWN dyno so it doesn't cost you more ... but even if you have to spend the money how much better can it get for 500 or whatever it costs you ?
you get the motor completely set up and tuned...
you get it fully broken in and ready to go
you get to see all the temps and pressures
you get to confirm the performace promises
everybody sees it start and run and not make noise or blow up after a coupe of hours
you get to do a leakdown when its done to make sure everything is good up top and you get to cut open the filter to make sure everything is good down below..

you leave the facility with a " plug and play " deal. no screwing around with any ancillaries or systems . hook up the oil lines, ignition and fuel and drive it away. no babying it for the first 4 hours because the breakin procedure is already done under controlled conditions...

none of this... " gee we started it and it had no oil pressure " or gee we tried to time it and now all the pistons are burned " or the usual litany of complaints that occur when a motor gets installed from zero time by the end user.

this discussion started about warrantees... now... with that in mind , do a quick search... how many threads are there here that start with " i installed my new motor and it has no oil pressure " only to find out that they have the oil lines backwards... or how many threads that start with... " does anyone know what these timing marks mean ?"

now... when their NEXT thread starts with... " MY AHOLE engine builder won't warantee my motor..."

thats why serious builders have their own dyno and those that don't, for whatever reason, use a service... and why the vast majority of self inflicted issues that surface here could be eliminated before the motor ever got near the boat.
This post really tells it like it is. To not dyno an engine after a complete rebuild is not using good common sense. It protects the builder and the customer.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Well based on all this horror I'll keep my girls just the way they are,, Ok maybe just a little tweeking..
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im always tweaking, went by today just to give it the once over even if it is shrink-wrapped:.