TR II or III id

Notices

TR II or III id

Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danielpellan
The boat is a 1977 28' fiberform. It was made in kelowna. The tag in the boat says that it has twin
255's. So I'm think that someone at some point repowered it. The transome has two spots where it could have had two holes in it, for the twin motors, but it is faint. The fiberglass work was well done if it did have two motors in it at one time.
That boat most likely had the TR drive, it's not a performance boat by any means. The TRS was more of a performance drive but the gimbal housing and drive shaft housings are the same.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Them TR's were used for heavy boats. There's a lot of houseboats out there with them. They have a lower 2:1 gear ratio for turn'n them big props where as the TRS has a 1.5:1 ratio.

Those original 255's were 351 Ford engines. Probably had the MercTrans II transmissions. Engines would have been about 8" back closer to the transom.

So what your saying is someone converted it to a single 454 with a velvet drive?

Last edited by picklenjim; 11-25-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think someone converted it to the 454.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Ok, I'm pretty sure that I have a TRII leg. I took the leg off and pulled out the gimbel ring. I have the square/square pin. I have looked up the leg and have found the parts that I need. The only thing is the lower pin. In the book it says that I need a bearing, but in the gimbel ring, its a bushing. I'm not sure what is going on there. You can see the bushing in the gimbel ring in one of the photos.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Ok, how do you put pics on the forum?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by danielpellan
Ok, how do you put pics on the forum?
Only paying members can post photos via the site. You need to buy a membership or use a host site like photobucket.com

My membership pays for itself for all time and money I save from the vast knowledge on this site.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Registered

Ok, I don't think that I have a III anymore. What is the difference between a TRII and a TR/TRS?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered

is there any definning features that sperate the two. The swivel pin is square/square. The bottom pin is in a bushing, but I don't see any of the TR's with a bushing there. They all call for a bushing. The TR/TRS might be a better fit for my boat becuase I know that my motor is early 80's. It looks like the TR/TRS ran through to 93.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has a 19" diameter prop it's a TR. 19" prop will not fit on a TRS. If your still not convinced turn the input (u-joint) shaft. If you have to turn it 2 revolutions to make the prop shaft turn 1 then it's a TR, 2:1 ratio. TRS is 1.5:1 ratio and uses a 15" diameter max prop. TR II and TRS II is just what they called them in the early days. So your saying there's a bushing in the gimble ring? Does the lower swivel pin fit tightly in it? Should have a roller bearing with seals on each end of it. Either someone made a bushing at one time to replace the bearing or the bearing is missing which in that case it would be very loose on the swivel pin.

To get back to the original problem you said the steering lever and upper swivel pin were striped out. Is this correct? And you say it is the square/square design? Can you email me some pics of what's going on. I'll PM you my email address.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Ok, I emailed you the pics. I have another couple of question about the sterndrive. What is the oil line for in the gimbel bell. I see that it has a valve and a seal, but how does it work. It would make more sense if there was a supply and return line. But this is only one, so what is it's function, and why does it have a valve on either side of the connection. Also what if the wire back there for. I see that it is connected to the valve houseing on the bell, but I can't tell where it should be connected to.

The orginal problem, and the reason that took the leg off is that there was a steering issue. I just bought the boat, and I noticed that I could push the leg back and forth by about 3'' either way. So when I started looking into it, it appeared that the swivel pin was turning inside of the steering level. I talk to one of the local boat mechanics, and he IDed the leg as a III. So I ordered the swivel pin and steering lever. When they arrived, they didn't look right. So I pulled the leg off and took out the swivel pin, sure enough it was different than the one I ordered. However, in pulling the leg apart, I discovered that the swivel pin and steering lever are fine. But I did find lots of other problem. The outboard tailstock bearing was almost toast. As well as, the bushings and bearings in the gimbel ring and housing. So it's good that I have found the other problems, but I won't know what was causing the steering issue until I get the leg back together. I was always by myself when I was looking at the steering issue, so I was never in the engine compartment when I was pushing the leg back and forth. So I will get someone to push the leg back and forth when I'm in the engine compartment. Hopefully I will be able to see where the play is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.