Instrumentation anywhere you wanted

Notices

Instrumentation anywhere you wanted

Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrumentation anywhere you wanted

Been a while since I have been on here for lots of reasons, but I am back.

I have a new job/ career path as a manufacturers rep in the instrumentation and pysical measurement sensor business.

We have or can build every possible type of physical measurement sensor that you can dream up. My business partner, who is also big into power boating and I have discussed this a few times and I have a list of about 40 instrumentation points on a powerboat, but wanted to see if anyone else out there could imagine anything else.

We have hazardous area, ruggedized touch screen PC's that can build a read out of all of the sensors through a PLC that will show the output of all of the sensors that we find places to attach to the boat.

Besides the usual readings taken on an engine, EX: RPM's, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure etc....

We have thought of Blower temp, blower rpm, intake air temp, internal blower manifold temp, fuel temp, blower psi., blower harmonics, belt position, carb throttle position, carb butterfly position, air velocity through the spark arrestor, air velocity behind the rotors, Exhaust temp, Water temp at the exhaust temp, water temp on front of manifold vs. back of manifold, Oil temp in oil cooler, oil temp into engine, oil temp out of engine, Water flow rate through pickup, water flow rate through each side of engine, Drive temp, drive harmonics (using an accelerometer to trend vibration), Fuel flow rate, intercooler temp in and out and internal, Torque ( using load cells built into the engine plates, G forces of hull impact, ride height over water, water condition trending using forward facing lasers,

The possibilities are endless.

Any thoughts, except that this is going to be a ton of work.

Oh, and if anyone can think of a single application that I have mentioned so far that they would like a custom gauge built for, or a sensor, let me know and I will see about getting something worked up.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Drive shower flow rate?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I need a gps speedo that adds 10mph
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A NMEA2000-compatible linear (or rotational) position sensor that will bolt directly on to K-planes. I'll buy four tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread!!

C-Spray has a great idea! I am actually building something similar because I am tired of the cable driven indicators. This system will have short cables coming into the engine compartment where they will attach to the linear pots. The pot position will then be translated by an Ardruino board and displayed on the LCD screen. This will display both drive and tab positions. I hope to have to installed in my scarab in the next couple months!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...b/b150a36b.mp4

With regards to other ideas. What about a gas gauge that was ale to display accurate fuel level regardless of boat attitude! I think it can be done with three senders in the tank (one at the front, one in the middle and one at the back). With a little bit of math the program should be able to calculate the exact fluid level in the tank by averaging the three senders and displaying that level on the gauge!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

X2 on better gas guage
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad to see you back Jeff. Good luck in your new career. Sounds like fun!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

water in exhaust sensor for owners of headers? Can this be done, like relative humidity or something?

Why not add AFR as well? I think someone should make an O2 sensor bung in a dry joint clam strap that adds an inch to total exhaust length, no welding. You could do that and add a relative humidity sensor for water in the same strap
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a gps speedo that adds 10mph
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
Great thread!!

C-Spray has a great idea! I am actually building something similar because I am tired of the cable driven indicators. This system will have short cables coming into the engine compartment where they will attach to the linear pots. The pot position will then be translated by an Ardruino board and displayed on the LCD screen. This will display both drive and tab positions. I hope to have to installed in my scarab in the next couple months!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...b/b150a36b.mp4

With regards to other ideas. What about a gas gauge that was ale to display accurate fuel level regardless of boat attitude! I think it can be done with three senders in the tank (one at the front, one in the middle and one at the back). With a little bit of math the program should be able to calculate the exact fluid level in the tank by averaging the three senders and displaying that level on the gauge!
Why not just use something like this. Standard 4-20 output, I only have to have the factory calibrate the range.

http://www.celesco.com/

We are a technical rep for these guys.

I have other options as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.