Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Causes of tight wrist pins and scuffed pistons ? >

Causes of tight wrist pins and scuffed pistons ?

Notices

Causes of tight wrist pins and scuffed pistons ?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

it is posible that the assembler did not oil the cyl walls or piston skirts,and the piston pins,the damage would have hapened right away.what prompted you to take them apart,loss of power and oil use?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

One was making a noise, decided to double key the cranks, and machine shop insisted on detonation, they also said .004 was fine so I said well both motors are tuned and run the same way lets see what the not noisy one looks like
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

28 degrees is a baseline starting point depending on many variables , i would say that 30 to 32 degrees is where you'll end up, but be cautious as the pistons you're using aren't "my" first choice lol
True blower pistons are designed to withstand the higher temps associated with blower engines, I'll call you and we can discuss this in greater detail...
Registered

Adding 420 blowers with chillers, reason for double keyway on cranks
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How are the exhaust valves? 28* coupled with a lean afr, baby blowers=tons of heat in the cylinder.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How are the exhaust valves? 28* coupled with a lean afr, baby blowers=tons of heat in the cylinder.
and the pistons are not for a supercharged engine,all that heat may have caused too much piston expansion,once the piston started scraping the cylinder wall and scuffed the skirts the drag coupled with the heat oblonged the piston pin holes.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember when hawk was building those .they started out with a base 420 merc i belived they changed the cam and bolted on the b&m blower .they had a lot of problems ,dentonation!!! i have a question did the motor set for a long time? any heat signs of heat on the bottom of piston under the dome?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by lil red
Outside iirc
reason for asking,i had a customer that scuffed all the outside's of his pistons..he sucked up sand and all the sediment would not allow the water flow properly and the cylinder wall expanded and did the same thing your did..sea strainers cured his problem after a bore and a set of pistons..
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Registered

Thanks fix, I have monster strainers, and there is no sediment I can find in the block.
I think mike and joe may be on to something.
I think the pistons were just too tight for the application. I know the pistons aren't designed specifically for a blower, and I don't want to put a bunch of $$ into these 454's right now. I plan on building a pair of 540's in a year or 2, so to put $1500 worth of pistons in these to only use for a short time just doesn't make a lot of sense. ESP when I have 2 sets of these pistons for short money. I'll get the bores measured up and see where they are at.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered

The hawk decal on the blower said 26* max but these were originally built in the early days of supercharging pleasure boats.
The bottom of the domes look fine, no excessive heat in the tops of the pistons.
I know I sound like a cheap a$$ but just got married in may and I'm buying another house now, had to pay off both trucks, and any cc's to get approved. Money is tight right now. I sold my old blowers and bravo crap and that equalled enough to buy the 420's.
Do you guys think these will live if I open the bores to .0065? Guys are putting decent size whipples on otherwise stock 500efi's and doing ok right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.