EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut? >

EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut?

Notices

EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
I like straight on my boats. now a nother question for me is with my mufflers on my zx do i still need flappers or is that over kill? i dont like the look of them but the pipes are tuching the water when sitting still.
My pipes are 1/2 underwater sitting still with nobody in the boat, that is meaningless, it matters what is going on inside your boat more than anything, look at the cluster duck in the previous post...his pipes could be three feet underwater

It's a joke lighten up, I kid I kid, who wouldn't want 3 near 90 degree bends in their exhaust. I have two, why not more

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 12-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as there fat I don't thing it's relevant.
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut?-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 12-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

I was kidding, I'm not trying to start a fire. Just a spark, it's winter. Besides, I like lego's
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
My pipes are 1/2 underwater sitting still with nobody in the boat, that is meaningless, it matters what is going on inside your boat more than anything, look at the cluster duck in the previous post...his pipes could be three feet underwater

It's a joke lighten up, I kid I kid, who wouldn't want 3 near 90 degree bends in their exhaust. I have two, why not more
I will make nice... Even with my fat azz standing there still not under water.... This system will soon be replaced with Sport Tubes and dry tails , yes with nice sweeping radius turns . BBC i got your cluster fak right here....

Last edited by the deep; 12-19-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

This guy is ok with me.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't put mud flaps on it. I can't stand it when you see a trick boat and they put the cheezy external rubber flappers on them. Most of the time they don't seal anyway, when the boat is shut off, because the exhaust comes out on a downward angle an the flaps hang straight down and leave a gap for water to enter.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ondtip
Just don't put mud flaps on it. I can't stand it when you see a trick boat and they put the cheezy external rubber flappers on them. Most of the time they don't seal anyway, when the boat is shut off, because the exhaust comes out on a downward angle an the flaps hang straight down and leave a gap for water to enter.
Go take a straw, downward at an angle, attach something that hangs like a "mud flap" and suck from the other end...does it seal now? Good.

I don't like the way they look either, though.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
If you don't have silent choice, I agree with cigboat. Plus the external muffler options like others have said.

If you have silent choice, angle cut for the looks.
Not sure what bearing silent choice would have on the issue, unless you are thinking that the Y-pipes might prevent water from backing up the exhaust if a wake pushes it up the tailpipe. In that case, if it was a big enough wake, I would be concerned that it could still make it's way to the manifolds. I would be curious to know how much this helps.

I like the look of angle cut tips myself. Wish I could find a set of them with switchable mufflers built in. I like the option of making it quiet when I need to, or letting it roar. Still trying to figure out a way to get my Lightning headers to work with a Y-pipe. So far no dice. Lightning makes a set of switchable collectors for their headers with divorced collectors, but they are like $900 - I just don't have that kind of coin laying around.

Regarding the rubber Salisbury flappers - I think they help some, even when the tips are at an angle and they dangle open slightly. I was watching my buddy's boat that has the flappers on it last summer, and on a small swell just a little bit of water would wash up the exhaust, but not likely enough to overcome the downward angle of the exhaust. When a really big swell would hit the stern, the extra water pressure would push the flappers shut, effectively keeping the wave from washing all the way up the pipe. That being said, a lot of the tips have the internal flappers. I still like the looks of a set of shiny angled tips over the salisbury flappers any day - those things just look like they should be on a mack truck to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Hay Budman, I've seen some similar to this sell for like $500 used on here http://www.cpperformance.com/c-473-s...silencers.aspx, and who cares about mufflers, you are going to have a cam to look at later today
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Hay Budman, I've seen some similar to this sell for like $500 used on here http://www.cpperformance.com/c-473-s...silencers.aspx, and who cares about mufflers, you are going to have a cam to look at later today
Yep, there are a couple sets of the Teague switchable tips for sale in Swap Shop that are very similar to those. My problem is that I do not have enough room between inside of my transom and the end of the header collector to use them. My boat was built with a small block, so it has the holes for the exhaust a little closer together - this causes a misalignment with the collectors on my big block exhaust. I may have to just punt and stick with a non-switchable muffler tip, or go to some type of external air actuated switchable tip. Not crazy about the way those look, though, and I wonder how much they actually reduce the sound level.

Got the cam - sure is purty! (in my best Kentucky hillbilly accent)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.