Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut? >

EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut?

Notices

EXHAUST TIPS: Straight or Angle Cut?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I understand. You could always get some slip-ins, that's what I did, I can have them in in no time, and they make a pretty big difference, though the cheap ones I bought do hurt performance to the tune of about 2-3mph. That being said, they sure were easy on the pocketbook! Ironically the performance I lose is remarkably similar to the stock baffles I cut out...

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 12-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Ah, I understand. You could always get some slip-ins, that's what I did, I can have them in in no time, and they make a pretty big difference, though the cheap ones I bought do hurt performance to the tune of about 2-3mph. That being said, they sure were easy on the pocketbook! Ironically the performance I lose is remarkably similar to the stock baffles I cut out...
Never could picture how those are installed quickly without pulling risers or exhaust hoses. What holds them in place?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought angle cut tips from Keith Eickert. They are made by Hardin, they have internal flappers, they have a screw hole at the bottom so you can add an internal silencer if needed that is simple to install......

That said, I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY SENT ME USED PARTS!!!! 3 brand new, 1 tip's flapper is a mess, the entire inside of it is full of soot, the outside is scratched and has dirty finger prints all over it.

I called but was told "it is the end of the day, sorry can't help right now, call tomorrow." WTF!?!?!?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Never could picture how those are installed quickly without pulling risers or exhaust hoses. What holds them in place?
Most of the "plain" styles are tapped for it (it's just a set screw), the slip in silencers are contained right in the tip, they don't go back further than that. Look at the bottom of the tip here. http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12591...haust-tip.aspx

Slide in silencer from the outside of the boat, tighten set screw, done. 20 seconds a side...tops. If your boat is in the water this maybe a bit trickier, but on a trailer it's a snap.

FYI I have flush mount tips so I couldn't drill a hole for the set screw (that would be inside the boat) so I tighten the set screw tight and haven't lost one yet, though I'm sure one day I will. I have only used these on smaller lakes not to piss people off....as much at least. And generally don't runt the boat super hard with them, so I don't notice much when used like that, besides that it's quieter. I happened to leave them in on accident once so I figured that was as good a time as any to test it, got a baseline, jumped in the water and pulled them out and went for another WOT run, it's about 3 mph on my gps...

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 12-20-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ondtip
Just don't put mud flaps on it. I can't stand it when you see a trick boat and they put the cheezy external rubber flappers on them. Most of the time they don't seal anyway, when the boat is shut off, because the exhaust comes out on a downward angle an the flaps hang straight down and leave a gap for water to enter.
lol that is exactly what is on them and i cant stand it. and u r right they dont close. i dont mind them on my 27 but not on my new boat. so u think with the mufflers i can leave them off?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
especially when there 4.5" or 5" and dry!
+5
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
No, CMI told me they only have 2 dealers in the country, I actually talked with one of them over and over and over and was unable to complete an order since it seems that only 1 person at the whole damn place is able to take orders and they are always busy, running errands, or having personal issues.

The other place just plain never got back to me. I ended up buying used tails.
Did you check with Teague, their usually really good about getting back to you. I just ordered new CMI tails for my sport tubes and got them in a week. Talk to either Bob or Eric
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I bought angle cut tips from Keith Eickert. They are made by Hardin, they have internal flappers, they have a screw hole at the bottom so you can add an internal silencer if needed that is simple to install......

That said, I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY SENT ME USED PARTS!!!! 3 brand new, 1 tip's flapper is a mess, the entire inside of it is full of soot, the outside is scratched and has dirty finger prints all over it.

I called but was told "it is the end of the day, sorry can't help right now, call tomorrow." WTF!?!?!?
I was sent a used focked up tip by another advertiser here a while back , wasn't even the same length as the good one . How the hell does that happen ? Then to be told can't help right now , dude Stainless Marine makes really nice tips . Send those back and have somebody shove em up der azz . There is NO excuse for treating a customer like that .

Last edited by the deep; 12-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I was able to get through, spent about 35 mins on the phone total. Customer service said "looks like someone pulled a fast one huh".

Then they were NICE enough to send me another tip AFTER I PAID FOR IT??? To be credited after I return the used one. The guy said, "we have no choice but to do it this way to make sure I am honest and don't keep the used one"

I kind of understand but WTF? It is still BS. I have a small parts business and if I have a screw up I get it fixed asap and worry about $$ later.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I was able to get through, spent about 35 mins on the phone total. Customer service said "looks like someone pulled a fast one huh".

Then they were NICE enough to send me another tip AFTER I PAID FOR IT??? To be credited after I return the used one. The guy said, "we have no choice but to do it this way to make sure I am honest and don't keep the used one"

I kind of understand but WTF? It is still BS. I have a small parts business and if I have a screw up I get it fixed asap and worry about $$ later.
Yep, know what you mean - I run a website that sells CPAP equipment, and if it's OUR fault, I usually tell them just to keep the wrong item that we sent. Now if they screwed up and ordered the wrong item, a lot of times I will just tell them to order an pay for the correct one, and I will credit them when they send the other product back. But sending out a USED part is bogus to begin with. SMH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.