Whipple 3.3 to 4.0 or twin 3.3 upgrade >

Whipple 3.3 to 4.0 or twin 3.3 upgrade

Notices

Whipple 3.3 to 4.0 or twin 3.3 upgrade

Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple 3.3 to 4.0 or twin 3.3 upgrade

I have sent whipple and teauge a couple of emails on this question with out responce so i thought i would try here.

I have a 540 with a small/stnd whipple intercooler and a 3.3 200ax on it. I am looking at buying a 4.0 245ax or a second 200ax and i want to know who makes the adapter plates to allow me to bolt it up to the intercooler. The width of the 200 and 245 are the same just the length is different. Can i bolt my 3.3 throttle body and front housing and snout onto the 245 core? (it appers on the drawings that i can)
I am chasing some prices for both options. I am currently fitting a merc 6 drive and turbo 400 on the boat to take the extra power. Prices and options would be much appreciated. The Australian whipple reps yella terra told me to contact whipple direct as they dont get involved with that type of thing and told me when i asked 6 months ago that this could not be done and sold me a new 3.3 when i wanted a 4.0. Whipple which is disappointing and a waste of money. Whipple you might want to look into that as whipple power is excellent and i am a big supporter and advocate of your product but unfortunaly has very little support in Australia hence why most guys use twin turbo set ups.

Thanks Scott
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by beaver.cleaver
I have sent whipple and teauge a couple of emails on this question with out responce so i thought i would try here.

I have a 540 with a small/stnd whipple intercooler and a 3.3 200ax on it. I am looking at buying a 4.0 245ax or a second 200ax and i want to know who makes the adapter plates to allow me to bolt it up to the intercooler. The width of the 200 and 245 are the same just the length is different. Can i bolt my 3.3 throttle body and front housing and snout onto the 245 core? (it appers on the drawings that i can)
I am chasing some prices for both options. I am currently fitting a merc 6 drive and turbo 400 on the boat to take the extra power. Prices and options would be much appreciated. The Australian whipple reps yella terra told me to contact whipple direct as they dont get involved with that type of thing and told me when i asked 6 months ago that this could not be done and sold me a new 3.3 when i wanted a 4.0. Whipple which is disappointing and a waste of money. Whipple you might want to look into that as whipple power is excellent and i am a big supporter and advocate of your product but unfortunaly has very little support in Australia hence why most guys use twin turbo set ups.

Thanks Scott
Are you putting a turbo 400 transmissions in front of the # 6 Drive?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

yes gaz 2 speed turbo 400
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Registered

Thanks Scott

Check out the pictures of my quad rotor set up in the warlock section under "1000 HP 25 ft warlock
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Call Whipple and ask to talk to Dustin and he will help you. The 4 liter would be a good match for the 540 if you aren't trying to do something out of the ordinary with HP. With the Whipples, your are better to size appropriately than to overdo it. The superchargers tend to have better fuel distribution when there spooled up. My engine builder has used the 3.3 on a 598 producing 1000hp. I'm sure it wouldn't be his first choice now, that was before the 4, 4.5, 5 superchargers. But it did work well.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Scott
you're not alone my friend.. they don't have customer support anywhere... its a shame as the product is spectacular... all they need to do is care now!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

yes gaz 2 speed turbo 400
that's a great idea, as turbo 400 transmissions and tons of mods are readily available and quite inexpensive...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered

We modify them and lock out 2nd gear and just have 1 and top. It allows us to run 23 and 24 inch props as we run 1:1.24 ratio The smaller props dont throw the 21ft boat around as much but still pull the skiers out and accelerate quickly. farly common in ski race boats to run this set up. A good used turbo 400 can be picked up for around $3-5k