Shore Power Install >

Shore Power Install

Notices

Shore Power Install

Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shore Power Install

I am going to be installing a shore power connection on my 88 Scarab. I have a couple of questions.

Should I mount the plug outside the cockpit cover, or can I mount it under the cover under the rear seat where the speakers are mounted?

I will also be installing a battery charger. Should this be mounted in the engine compartment or can it be mounted in the compartment under the rear seat?

Thank you in advance for the replies.

OSO has been a wealth of information helping with my first boat issues.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

It's really up to you. For me.....

The plug is in an area that never sees moisture on the port side tucked back toward the bilge. I actually have to lay down to insert the plug. Benefit here is that if the house is dead, you can plug in...wait a few minutes....then raise the hatch. Right next to it is the manual release pin for the linear actuator just in case it fails....

My charger/inverter is in the bay. It is a sealed unit....don't go cheap here. Dead batteries, unit comes on and fumes in the bilge are a bad mix....

Spend the money on one that will charge all types...you never know if you are gonna change to agm, or stick with wet cell....
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

be sure to install a galvanic isolator right after your shorepower plug in the ground wire
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the conn outside the cover, when my checkmate sits here it's plugged in with float charger, thats under back seat, but engine compartment is fine as well...thats where the large one on my gibson is...but the float type ones are the only way to go...others fry the batteries...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I added shore power to my Velocity. I used the covered twist lock plug outside the cover. I also added a Blue Sea breaker panel inside the cockpit along with a GFI outlet. I also added a pro marine battery charger in the engine compartment. The Pro Marine has different settings for different battery types, I also use it when the boat is in my garage to keep the batteries topped off. I kept the shore power plug and breaker panel as close to each other as possible. Also make sure you use marine rated wire, solid core will fracture in no time from the vibration in a boat.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I added shore power to my Velocity. I used the covered twist lock plug outside the cover. I also added a Blue Sea breaker panel inside the cockpit along with a GFI outlet. I also added a pro marine battery charger in the engine compartment. The Pro Marine has different settings for different battery types, I also use it when the boat is in my garage to keep the batteries topped off. I kept the shore power plug and breaker panel as close to each other as possible. Also make sure you use marine rated wire, solid core will fracture in no time from the vibration in a boat.
Thats a good idea to put breaker protection.i installed my plug in undermy dash in a water tite box and cover..))