How to test manifolds

Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am doing a compression test tomorrow to seehow things are
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Just did the compression test and every cylinder was at 118-120, I did had water in the spark plug of cylinder 1
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

I'd pressure test the manifolds for confirmation. To do that plumb city water to an inlet nipple, plug any outlet ports. Then turn on the water and watch for water to appear in the exhaust gas section of the manifold. It will be obvious if they are leakers.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

plug all the water ports, leave one to install a guage and a shrader valve like on a tire you can add water to the manifold just a little so you can see water pressureize with air and watch the guage with air pressure a leak is more to show up because the heat expands any crack while the engine is running, good luck had the same problem with a set it was spraying water on the exhaust valve and bending it only way i found it was with air pressure aprox 13 lbs should do it.....
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

This manifolds have no way to pressurize them..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Here where the water comes out of the manifold there's no way to plug them

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psf97ddd26.jpg
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by riverrat
go easy on the city water pressure so you don't blow them beautys totally apart, we use a gauge and put 7 lbs thru as our well kicks out 60 lbs. sounds like he dodged a bullet with the good comp #s time for a oil change and a new set of headers .
Jeff A.
You trying to pick a fight? JK of course...

My KEs have held city water with thier thin walled cast aluminum. I will say I was a bit nervous the first time I did it but no problem. My thought is headers may need a good amount of pressure to show a leak cold as they may only leak when hot.

If you cannot figure out how to plug your exhaust then I'd surely try to get a pressure test on the cooling system of the engine. Without knowing either the engine tests tight or the manifolds leak you are just guessing it will be fixed.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kakarot
Here where the water comes out of the manifold there's no way to plug them

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psf97ddd26.jpg
It might be easier to pressureize the exhaust side instead of the water side. You can get a good, flat, heavy piece of wood or even better, a piece of flat steel plate, and lay a header gasket against it to mark where the bolt holes would be. Drill out the holes, get a set of header bolts and 3/8" nuts for the back side, and bolt the header or manifold to the plate with a good header gasket (a piece of flat rubber would work well as a seat too). On the other end where the exhaust exits, install one of those 4-inch rubber plumbers plugs that snug up with a bolt or wing nut. A little lithium grease helps with a seal here. Then drill and install a schrader valve in one of the exhaust ports on your flat stock jig, pressurize with air, and listen for leaks. You can put a tire gauge on it to note the pressure, and let it sit overnight to see if it holds. A little bit of soapy water around the flange and plug will tell you if you are leaking air in those areas if it does not hold air.

Worked for me to test my Lightnings!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
It might be easier to pressureize the exhaust side instead of the water side. You can get a good, flat, heavy piece of wood or even better, a piece of flat steel plate, and lay a header gasket against it to mark where the bolt holes would be. Drill out the holes, get a set of header bolts and 3/8" nuts for the back side, and bolt the header or manifold to the plate with a good header gasket (a piece of flat rubber would work well as a seat too). On the other end where the exhaust exits, install one of those 4-inch rubber plumbers plugs that snug up with a bolt or wing nut. A little lithium grease helps with a seal here. Then drill and install a schrader valve in one of the exhaust ports on your flat stock jig, pressurize with air, and listen for leaks. You can put a tire gauge on it to note the pressure, and let it sit overnight to see if it holds. A little bit of soapy water around the flange and plug will tell you if you are leaking air in those areas if it does not hold air.

Worked for me to test my Lightnings!
I've done this before too. The way I used to see if there was air leaking was I put duct tape over the exhaust runners that bolt to the head. Any air leaking at all would presuurize/blow up the duct tape. If the tape stays limp over the exhaust openings you have no leak.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

I took the manifolds connected the hose and as the water was coming out of the ports that it meets the exhaust part the water kind of repels back down the exhaust
Part the spraying pattern causes it to create water reversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.