Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help... >

2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help...

Notices

2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help...

Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help...

Here's what i have Whipple charged motors with stage 2 intercoolers, trying to figure out how to plum the cooling system...I have 2 stage KE pumps, thought of 1 stage for the intercooler one stage for the motors, i have a pair of merc high flow sea stainers, and a knoched transom with not alot of room for water pickups...my question is are my sportmaster drives LWP going to be enough feed the strainers, then to the 2stage pumps 1 stage going to motors the other to the intercoolers??? the next question is, if it's not enough water through the drives to feed everything, and if do find some room on the transom to mount water pickups, can i plum the transom pickups into the water line coming off the drives with tee before the sea strainers to feed the 2stage pumps??? or maybe not what I'm thinking at all, if got a better way please let me know.....
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 2 intercooler

The whipple kit that I have came with a pickup for the intercooler only & the instructions say to plumb it that way because the intercooler is not doing anything at idle or slow speed. As far as the LWP in the drive I was told that at speed it gives a ram effect literally forcing water through the cooling system. Maybe Dustin or some of the engine building members will chime in to verify. Randy
Attached Thumbnails 2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help...-043.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input Randy, i got the water pickups in the kit just not alot of room to mount them. i did talk to Dustin about it, he said give it a shot with just the water from the LWP off the drive, with the 2stage pumps feeding the motor and the innercooler and see if you have enough water pressure, but I'd sooner not leave it up to chance that it might work... I'm hoping some of the builders chim in..maybe i should sell the 2 stage pumps, use the single stage pump to feed the motors with the drives, try to get the transom water pickups in there, get some intercooler strainers, and feed intercooler with the transom pic ups..
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Thanks for the input Randy, i got the water pickups in the kit just not alot of room to mount them. i did talk to Dustin about it, he said give it a shot with just the water from the LWP off the drive, with the 2stage pumps feeding the motor and the innercooler and see if you have enough water pressure, but I'd sooner not leave it up to chance that it might work... I'm hoping some of the builders chim in..maybe i should sell the 2 stage pumps, use the single stage pump to feed the motors with the drives, try to get the transom water pickups in there, get some intercooler strainers, and feed intercooler with the transom pic ups..
This seems to be the desired way of rigging your system . Pumping water through your intercooler at no wake speeds or idle causes a rich condition and results in a snotty idle . Most likely Monday you'll get all kind of answers to this question .
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll second the pressure fed intercooler. Eddie set my boat up that way as he doesn't prefer water at idle. I for sure think you'll need more water than can be fed through the drive. The restriction in the transom fitting is not going to give you optimum water. I would use the drive pickup for the intercooler and the transom pickup for the engine. Teague makes a real slick adjustable transom pickup for notched transoms. Your really taking a risk without intercooler strainers. Some people who boat in pristine water get away with it. To meet USCG regs. you must have cutoffs on all incoming water inlets. Pressure relief valves and water pressure guages need to be used. You can use temporary guages for the intercoolers. Your 2 stage water pumps are nice and you could still use them if you want but the stock merc. hp pumps will do nicely if you want to sell them and recoup. some of the money to go toward the other things you'll need. It seems like a lot, but not that bad and just some testing to get water pressures right.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

thanks for the info so far guys keep it coming, asked dustin about sand strainers on the innercooler, he told me not to use them, said it would slow the flow for the cooler to much....Deep haven't been to Raystown sinces the late 80s, i guess its changed a lot, thought about running up there this summer....
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say keep it simple , force feed , with a pressure relief valve , stock pump .
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

thanks for the info so far guys keep it coming, asked dustin about sand strainers on the innercooler, he told me not to use them, said it would slow the flow for the cooler to much....Deep haven't been to Raystown sinces the late 80s, i guess its changed a lot, thought about running up there this summer....
Make sure and let me know if and when you will be there . Quite a few from your area are regulars , cruiser crowd . Had a good friend from Hellum? with a Sonic , he has since passed away .
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

ttt more info need
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Sand strainers don't seem to be slowing down the flow through my intercoolers. Checkout the outlet between the exhaust. Debris from the lake will slow down the flow or stop the flow maybe at the wrong time, then detonation.
Attached Thumbnails 2 stage KE waterpumps and Sportmaster LWP help...-dcbjayhelitighttran.jpg