Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anbody running over 400 HP through an early style, triangular Bravo coupler? >

Anbody running over 400 HP through an early style, triangular Bravo coupler?

Notices

Anbody running over 400 HP through an early style, triangular Bravo coupler?

Old 07-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anbody running over 400 HP through an early style, triangular Bravo coupler?

?
Old 07-19-2002, 02:56 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I ran about 375 thru one for several years without too much issue. The round ones simply have more bolts holding it to the flywheel. I don't believe teh coupler part of it is any different.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Registered

Dad's baja has a 502 around 480 hp... and we have not had a problem with the triangle style coupler yet...

like the foul said the round one only has more bolts to hold it to the flywheel...

But i remember seeing a high performance one someplace.. can't recall where.;..
Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

I think cpqtim is running one of the triangular couplers behind his 502. No issues yet. However, I upgraded to the Bravo coupler when I switched mine over, and they are considerably beefier than the triangular units. I think the triangular units are the same coupler that is used in the Alphas.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

All my other bravos had the full plate but these 88's have the triangular one. Didnt have the money left over to change them and im worried about breaking them. It seems like three 3/8" alluminum bolts would just shear right off as soon as you put the boots to it. so far so good and I plan on changing them this winter but I dont wont to blow one up. Not enough summer left to be wrenching any more.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Aluminum bolts?? Mine are grade 8 steel.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Registered

They are the stock ones. Sure felt very light. I would have replaced them with 8's but they had a shoulder on them for alignment I quess
Old 07-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Formula31... I have 1988 bravo 1s. They came stock with the coupler that looks like a big round hat. I have 454mags... what power did your's come with?

On a different note Formula... have you ever had to replace your carrier bearing in that 1988 drive?

BT
Old 07-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

These 88's have the triangular couplers. Started as stock 7.4's. By carrier bearings do you mean the gimbal bearings or the prop shaft bearings? My personal belief is these early bravo's handle power better than the later ones, if blueprinted. Thats been my experience anyway.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Registered

I was referring to the propshaft carrier bearing assembly. I cannot locate a replacement that has the same dimensional characteristics at the ones in my 88 bravos. They are the style without the drainplug.

If you have stock 1988 7.4 bravos with the triangle coupler, and I have stock 1988 454 magnum/bravos with the round couplers, I would surmise that the round coupler is by design able to transmit more torque. I personnally don't think the triangular will have any trouble with 400 hp though. Couplers are definately not the weak link and I've only seen them fail due to lack of lube or engine alignment. If that assumption is thue, and if what other OSOers have said that a bravo 1 can handle up to 500hp all day long.... I would say you are fine.

BT

Quick Reply: Anbody running over 400 HP through an early style, triangular Bravo coupler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.