Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Confused - my new oil rings are much thinner than originals >

Confused - my new oil rings are much thinner than originals

Notices

Confused - my new oil rings are much thinner than originals

Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cylinders had some light scoring from junk from the cam lobe failure, so it received a very light hone. Also lightly burnished the piston skirts to make sure there wasn't any debris impregnated in them. As mentioned before, it only had 30 hours on it and had great compression, but I chose to rehone and install new rings because of the garbage that went through it. Besides, I spent $120 on these rings, so I would like to get my money's worth out of them. If the original style rings turn out to be unobtainium for some reason, I will consider running the old ones, but I'm not in a super big hurry - not like it's the middle of June or something.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

compare the defuser part(center) of the oil rings to see if the old one is thicker then the neew on,,where the ring sits..that inner part just might be closer to the outside od the piston..me personally i like a thicker rine so they wont fludder.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Mystery solved!

Got a reply from Mahle, and what I thought was the old oil ring rails was actually a spacer rail that is supposed to span the ring groove cutout for the pin. Once I put these back, the rings fit. As Homer would say, "Doh!"