Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Free Air Subs.....opionions??? >

Free Air Subs.....opionions???

Notices

Free Air Subs.....opionions???

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 JL's in mine. Pushing then with a 600/1 JL amp it sounds awesome! With that amp they will pound all day long on a marine battery. Like stated above they do sound way better when enclosed. Just closing the back seat were mine are located its not sealed tight & still makes a big diff.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
MOST big car amps when I used to do stereos, where stable to 2 ohms bridged. this is what I was assuming.

if the amp is stable at 2 omh bridged, and I run 2 4ohm subs in parallel thats the correct load.
Yeah if its 2 ohm mono stable then by all means have at it, but like I said most are not and normally is the 2 ohm mono stable they will 1 ohm stereo stable, Many amps directed at comp stereo systems will be stable at low ohm loads. but normally they are the lessor know brands, the mainstream stuff normally is not. What Amp is it?

This why JL used to do 3 ohm and 6 ohm, They could sneak a little extra power out of amps.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
This why JL used to do 3 ohm and 6 ohm, They could sneak a little extra power out of amps.
Yes I remember when they where doing this.

I will be in the boat tomorrow and doing some more research on the amp and models to see my options. its probably going to disappoint me, as this stereo came in the boat.

4 channel on the 4 6.5 components in cockpit, 2 channel sub amp on 2 subs, and the 2 6.5 in cabin where off the deck.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck hopefully it works out to your advantage. But if not stereo stuff is way cheaper than it used to be. and a good d class amp, is way more efficient for your subs anyway, almost all of them love a mono 2ohm load.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Whatever the latest 10" JL free-air is, that's I have in place of the factory Clarion. Although Waves & Wheels suggested against it as opposed to a sub in a sealed box, its what I wanted and I think it sounds great for being a 10" free-air.