Notices

vinyl die

Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinyl die

Has anyone tried to die there cabin interiors? I don’t know if it was the color choice or if my vinyl has discolored. My seats in my cabin look like new and are a bright white however my headliner and walls look like a cross between white and tan. I don’t really use the cabin but when showing the boat it could look better. The vinyl die I was going to try is a wipe on application. http://www.rubnrestore.com/

Ken
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

It's only a paint and will eventually crack and peel. If it were me I would not use it.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've dyed vinyl before, and so have a few of my buddies. I had bad luck with the SEM brand. I figured it was more of a high end lineup, but it didn't hold up well. I then used duplicolor brand, that they sell at auto parts stores. My buddy and I had a old vinyl cushion we experimented on. I coated it, and we literally threw it around the garage, stepped on it with dirty shoes, kicked it, and couldn't believe how well it held up all winter in the cold when we kicked its @ss around the shop.

My interior was faded, but not torn. After building engines and a bunch of stuff, new vinyl wasn't in the cards last spring. So, I said the heck with it, im gonna try dying it again. I did. It held up all summer last year, not a single crack or peel. Cleans up nicely. It basically bought me some time. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on cabin wall/headliner pieces. They just don't get traffic like a bolster or rear bench. Even though that's where I used it and it held up great so far.

Another buddy of mine dyed his cockpit vinyl a few years back, still looks great.
Attached Thumbnails vinyl die-img_0662.jpg   vinyl die-img_0661.jpg   vinyl die-img_0341.jpg  

Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I've dyed vinyl before, and so have a few of my buddies. I had bad luck with the SEM brand. I figured it was more of a high end lineup, but it didn't hold up well. I then used duplicolor brand, that they sell at auto parts stores. My buddy and I had a old vinyl cushion we experimented on. I coated it, and we literally threw it around the garage, stepped on it with dirty shoes, kicked it, and couldn't believe how well it held up all winter in the cold when we kicked its @ss around the shop.

My interior was faded, but not torn. After building engines and a bunch of stuff, new vinyl wasn't in the cards last spring. So, I said the heck with it, im gonna try dying it again. I did. It held up all summer last year, not a single crack or peel. Cleans up nicely. It basically bought me some time. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on cabin wall/headliner pieces. They just don't get traffic like a bolster or rear bench. Even though that's where I used it and it held up great so far.

Another buddy of mine dyed his cockpit vinyl a few years back, still looks great.
great info,as usual,MT
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I have also used the Plastikote and Duplicolor vinyl paint a few times with great results.
I still have a couple of seats that I did in white and blue 12years ago that have held up.
I would clean real good with magic eraser (it's a fine abrasive)
Wipe down with acetone to get it to tack up for good adhesion and hit it with some Duplicolor vinyl paint.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
http://www.plastikote.com/products/S...nyl-Paint.html
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I have also used the Plastikote and Duplicolor vinyl paint a few times with great results.
I still have a couple of seats that I did in white and blue 12years ago that have held up.
I would clean real good with magic eraser (it's a fine abrasive)
Wipe down with acetone to get it to tack up for good adhesion and hit it with some Duplicolor vinyl paint.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
http://www.plastikote.com/products/S...nyl-Paint.html
Right on man. I love the $hit. I used it recently to the bolt heads on my carb bowl screws black. Regular paint would chip off after removing the bowls. The duplicolor coating is more rubbery/elasticky and held up good so far.

I also like that it stays kinda glossy looking. Like its always freshly armor all'd. Just wipe it down and go.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I also like that it stays kinda glossy looking. Like its always freshly armor all'd. Just wipe it down and go.
I don't want to admit it, but the white that is vinyl painted on my little boat is easier to keep clean than the good white vinyl on my Panthers interior. Same reasons as you just stated. The glossy white just cleans easy.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered

I have a few buddies that detail and refurbish cars,boats,atvs, ect they all swear by sem. It looks good and holds up well. Prep is key.

Ps lots of light coats 10-15 min apart just a dusting for a nice satin finish above 70 deg

Last edited by 2330s; 02-19-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Ps
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Interesting that you guys have had such good luck with this stuff. I'm in the middle of restoring my '69 Mustang and was going to vinyl dye the back seat as the fabric was still in great shape but it was a unanimous no on the Mustang forums for the reasons I posted above. I guess I should have tried it, oh well- seats are recovered now. If I didn't know better Joe, I'd say your bolsters look like new.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

MT, bringing this back up. How did the duplicolor hold up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.