Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
passive fresh water flush for closed cooled engines? >

passive fresh water flush for closed cooled engines?

Notices

passive fresh water flush for closed cooled engines?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passive fresh water flush for closed cooled engines?

I have twin 525HPs with closed cooling. Boat is on a lift, so I can't access the drives to flush with muffs. Can I plumb T's with a quick connect (downstream from the seawater pump), and run garden hose freshwater through the heat exchanger/oil cooler/exhaust without cranking the engine? Not worried about flushing the drives. I run in brackish water. I would like to be able to quick connect from the outer hull without opening the hatch or running the engines. Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajamann
I have twin 525HPs with closed cooling. Boat is on a lift, so I can't access the drives to flush with muffs. Can I plumb T's with a quick connect (downstream from the seawater pump), and run garden hose freshwater through the heat exchanger/oil cooler/exhaust without cranking the engine? Not worried about flushing the drives. I run in brackish water. I would like to be able to quick connect from the outer hull without opening the hatch or running the engines. Thanks in advance!!
My hustler has what you describe that has one hose bib and a manual switch to change from one sea filter to the other. But, it is under the hatch as part of the center support. It is built into it. Very trick.

Last edited by TahoeRick; 02-21-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they say if you run water thru exhaust without engine running it can go into the engine. if risers are long enough to where water mixes with exh with enough drop you might be ok.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

More common you'll find the T's before the pump, you'll have to start the motor to flush. The additional benefit is it will back flush the drives when the motors off. Very common on Volvo
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedjunky 123
More common you'll find the T's before the pump, you'll have to start the motor to flush. The additional benefit is it will back flush the drives when the motors off. Very common on Volvo
This is what i have on 496ho,s flushes the drives for a few min then fire up and do motors .
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Registered

Yeah, wasn't sure if that was the case on closed cooled models.

Last edited by bajamann; 02-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by paul buckner
This is what i have on 496ho,s flushes the drives for a few min then fire up and do motors .
Could we get a picture of your setup. This is something I've been looking to do . I would like to make it a clean looking install. Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by crf311
Could we get a picture of your setup. This is something I've been looking to do . I would like to make it a clean looking install. Thanks
Hi crf331 i will take some pictures tomorow its a bit tight in there , shoot me a email and i will get them to you , have to get my son to send them , i have been shown a 100 times how to send pic but still cant do it . mine Ts in to the inlet pipe where it leaves the transom shield on its way to the pump them the pipe goes to a fitting on the transom that your standard usa garden hose fitting srews to from outside the boat . when you are done flushing there are black plastic screw caps on a chain that srew on to the fitting.
All looks very neat from outside . WOW finished
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just plumb a shutoff valve into a tee to move direction of water and they make a thru hull hose connection, works great, just make sure you move valve back to drive pick up or you will kill the impellor quick...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

What about installing a sea strainer? Mine has a flushing attachment on top. Makes it easy to flush and has other benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.