WEBER carb. bowl draining

Notices

WEBER carb. bowl draining

Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I've been doing this for a couple years now. The cranking usually closer to 15 sec. followed by giving some throttle and maybe the engine fires, maybe not followed by more cranking. I do avoid playing around with the throttle during the process until after prolonged cranking. Starting to get concerned about starter life. Once it fires it's good for any other starts that day or the next 1 or 2 days.
ed
Here Griff
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing this for a couple years now. The cranking usually closer to 15 sec. followed by giving some throttle and maybe the engine fires, maybe not followed by more cranking. I do avoid playing around with the throttle during the process until after prolonged cranking. Starting to get concerned about starter life. Once it fires it's good for any other starts that day or the next 1 or 2 days.
ed
I found cranking a small 5-10 sec while then letting it sit for a little bit (a minute was good) caused them to fire right up when I cranked them again. Thereby avoiding the long crank times. I think sitting after cranking a bit allows the fuel time to get up to the bowls and fill the accel pump basin.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Went back and reread some of the old threads regarding this problem. There is discussion about sealing a small plug in the bowl with epoxy. Supposedly the plug is a leak path.
ed
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be a well tube plug on a Q-Jet...I really don't see how a weber would leak unless the base corroded thru, then would run like crap...like I said in your other post, make sure the choke is working....they do not want to start cold without them..
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It sounds like an important point is not being adressed. A fuel leak is a fire hazard, whether it comes from a backfire through the intake or outside ignition source. Take the carb off & set it over a paper towel or such, that should tell you if there is a leak & where it is at. You might have to JB weld a passage like the Q jet or it could need a rebuild. Either way the cost of a fuel pump & setup time or a starter from over cranking out weighs the cost of a carb kit and or some JB weld. Then there is the peace of mind to consider. JMHO Randy
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
It sounds like an important point is not being adressed. A fuel leak is a fire hazard, whether it comes from a backfire through the intake or outside ignition source. Take the carb off & set it over a paper towel or such, that should tell you if there is a leak & where it is at. You might have to JB weld a passage like the Q jet or it could need a rebuild. Either way the cost of a fuel pump & setup time or a starter from over cranking out weighs the cost of a carb kit and or some JB weld. Then there is the peace of mind to consider. JMHO Randy
That is my plan, remove the carbs and attempt to correct the issue. I'd like to avoid the costs associated with the other options.
ed
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered

That is my plan, remove the carbs and attempt to correct the issue. I'd like to avoid the costs associated with the other options.
ed
Im sure you have same problem I have on one of my boats and its a common problem. ON mine, I knew that fuel was leaking out and emptying the float bowl and you can check this by looking down the carb(not running and after sitting days) and opening the throttle a few times (its easiest just to have someone help by working throttle while you look down carb). If fuel doesn't shoot out down carb everytime you open the throttle, then bowl is empty. You can even hear it sucking air when throttle it pumped! 1) the fuel I believe seeps out around the throttle shaft, which a carb rebuild kit will not fix this! I have not check into what it would take to fix that problem but Im sure you would be better off just changing carbs! 2) on mine, the fuel seeps out too slow to be concerned about a fire hazard. Most evaporates and doesnt leak out fast enough to puddle up in one spot. I might be concerned if it was leaking out of carb ONTO the intake (outside the motor), but not INTO the intake.
If you do find a fix, let me know! I've never heard of anyone fixing it. But unfortunately I don't think you're gonna find an easy one!! Replacing carb is probably about it or just deal with it
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Registered

sometimes the issues come from heat soak after shut down and the heat from the intake boils the gas out...seen that several times....can used a plastic carb spacer and sometimes that will help that...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
sometimes the issues come from heat soak after shut down and the heat from the intake boils the gas out...seen that several times....can used a plastic carb spacer and sometimes that will help that...
A good phenolic spacer like this is a great heat barrier .
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

exactly....thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.