reverse rotation engine >

reverse rotation engine

Notices

reverse rotation engine

Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
You can spin them either way by just flipping the pump over but output shaft spin is always determined buy the direction the input shaft is spinning.
Yes, unfortunately in the velvet drives that is all you can do.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
wrong !!! you can on a hurth, not 71 or 72, the reverse clutch back is not the same as forward one...I went thru all this when I repowered my gibson...
What are the dimensions on the Hurth? Same as the VelvetDrive? What model?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for info, does anyone know what the torque production figure at what rpm for the 454/340 I cannot find any figures anywhere on the net?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

with a 340hp its a inboard....
Or a V-Drive (which could reverse in the V Drive and not in the motor itself.

I still haven't seen the model of boat mentioned, which would eliminate a bunch of head scratching. Is it a Sundancer, an Express, a Bridge boat, a Center console, an Aft Cabin ?? Knowing this would help.

And some reverse rotation motors use a STANDARD rotation cam and a gear drive instead of a cam chain. This lets you use a standard distributor and standard oil pump. If you reverse your own motor, make sure the pistons are swapped to accomodate the backwards thrust angle, water pump is different. Alternator fan is different, starter is different (unless you use a reverse mount bellhousing). Raw pump is plumbed differently.

MC
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Or a V-Drive (which could reverse in the V Drive and not in the motor itself.

I still haven't seen the model of boat mentioned, which would eliminate a bunch of head scratching. Is it a Sundancer, an Express, a Bridge boat, a Center console, an Aft Cabin ?? Knowing this would help.

And some reverse rotation motors use a STANDARD rotation cam and a gear drive instead of a cam chain. This lets you use a standard distributor and standard oil pump. If you reverse your own motor, make sure the pistons are swapped to accomodate the backwards thrust angle, water pump is different. Alternator fan is different, starter is different (unless you use a reverse mount bellhousing). Raw pump is plumbed differently.

MC
the V drives used in these boats are NOT reversable...been down that road...V drives have nothing to do with prop direction...simple gear to gear...yes early reverse rotation engines used the gear drive set up, but after genVI engines they no longer do that...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Let me summarize

Inline Velvet drives (the 71 & 72 series – output is in line with input) will not change output rotation however they can be used on both standard and opposite rotation engines by changing pump mounting. Same thing for the old style Velvet V drives. However the V drives come in chain and gear versions, so it is possible to use a chain on one side and a gear on the other to reverse output. And there are a couple of the inline ratios where the output is opposite the input.

New Velvet 5000 Liberty series, Hurth & ZF all allow the reversal of the output rotation but can only be used on standard rotation engines. They are available in both down-angle (the output is offset and at an angle) and v drive.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

And some reverse rotation motors use a STANDARD rotation cam and a gear drive instead of a cam chain. This lets you use a standard distributor and standard oil pump.
MC
The cam spins the normal way but the lobes on the cam are lined up different and unless you are going to use a roller there is only 1 cam available in RR in flat tappet and no others are being made.

If you reverse your own motor, make sure the pistons are swapped to accommodate the backward thrust angle,
MC
There is no difference in pistons but if you are going to swap a motor over you do need to resurface the crank along with change the rear and front cover seals. If not oil will be pumped out of the motor.

water pump is different. Alternator fan is different
No difference in the water pump. The veins on the wheel are straight and it don't matter what way it spins and the ALT fan also makes no difference what way it spins.

starter is different (unless you use a reverse mount bellhousing). Raw pump is plumbed differently.
MC
True and the raw water pump is as simple as putting the input hose on the out put side and vice versa.

I spent a year researching a RR motors and what could be done with them. My advice, run away as fast as you can.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an Express cruiser with straight velvet drives
Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more than likely have 72c trans...just work on the reverse engine, If I had it to do over I would but the high torque 502 truck engines strait from chevy have Bob match up a reverse roller cam, you will have to use the special reverse built GM EST dist from crusader with that...but should work very well in that boat...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

more than likely have 72c trans...just work on the reverse engine, If I had it to do over I would but the high torque 502 truck engines strait from chevy have Bob match up a reverse roller cam, you will have to use the special reverse built GM EST dist from crusader with that...but should work very well in that boat...
Cam should spin the same way as normal. It's the crank that spins backward. That's why there is only 2 gears and not 2 gears and a chain timing set. The dist turns the same way you just put the plugs wires on it backward. If you spin the cam backward not only would you need a custom dist but you would also need a custom oil pump and unless someone builds it for you, you are not going to find them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.