Block for 383

Notices

Block for 383

Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Don't want a used motor. Not 100% opposed to crate motors but like I said havent assembled any yet and would love to get that experience. Torn down and done heads up but never built and assembled a short block.

A new dart block is out of the question and unnecessary as I'm not looking to push power boundaries. So far I prefer the 1 piece seal as they supposedly seal better than 2. Reading a lot of build articles. I love to educate myself. I can find blocks for the 200-300 dollar range and have machined locally. Sounds like that might just be the best option.
Done carefully and correctly the two piece seal will never leak . I have done many . Just so you know , the one piece seal engines take a different crank and that crank has a different bolt pattern for the flywheel . So the flywheel will be engine specific .

Last edited by the deep; 03-04-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Done carefully and correctly the two piece seal will never leak . I have done many . Just so you know , the one piece seal engines take a different crank and that crank has a different bolt pattern for the flywheel . So the flywheel will be engine specific .
Cool. I knew about the crank didn't know about the flywheel. Ill be building slowly as I have good running motors at the moment and other projects I'm doing so this isn't a rush. I have time to research and try to get it right. First most important decision is on the block. Once fully decided then I can buy and start learning. Lol
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Cool. I knew about the crank didn't know about the flywheel. Ill be building slowly as I have good running motors at the moment and other projects I'm doing so this isn't a rush. I have time to research and try to get it right. First most important decision is on the block. Once fully decided then I can buy and start learning. Lol
Great , good luck with your build . Remember , let nothing to chance , scrutinize everything and keep your build CLEAN . Do these things and you will have a great dependable engine !!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Don't want a used motor. Not 100% opposed to crate motors but like I said havent assembled any yet and would love to get that experience. Torn down and done heads up but never built and assembled a short block.

A new dart block is out of the question and unnecessary as I'm not looking to push power boundaries. So far I prefer the 1 piece seal as they supposedly seal better than 2. Reading a lot of build articles. I love to educate myself. I can find blocks for the 200-300 dollar range and have machined locally. Sounds like that might just be the best option.
if your really in the market look at this eye candy...looks like some good deals..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...gines-Not-Mine
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

No doubt. Crazy good deals if they are genuine merc
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Contemplating working on building a 383. Would I be better off finding a used block and doing all machining at local machine shop or using a block like this.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150100

It says its machined for a stroker. I'm very mechanical but have never assembled a short block and want to so I like the build my own route especially after reading crate motors. None impress me. Just curious if this route is better than junkyard block and going to local machine shop. Also would I still have machine work even with block clearanced for stroker?

Any input greatly appreciated.
It might be worth looking into the Dart SHP 427 short block. Already set up and big cubes in a small package for a fair price.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I've always used seasoned "010" production run 350 4 bolt blocks and had them machined locally by a place my Father had good success with. Going off the top of my head the 010 blocks had a higher nickel content and were the strongest.