full hydraulic steering issue/new install >

full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Notices

full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 502ss
Just to confirm, it's not just the wheel that's moving right? If you touch the wheel and it turns all the way to lock the drives are also moving all the way to lock?
Correct. I had my hand on the inside of the wheel and it about took my hand off. I'm headed home so im going to triple check the hoses and go from there.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
When sitting at static state and the engine is off, is there any play in the drives side to side?
I also believe you still have air in the lines.
Very little but there is a little yet. The guy i spoke with was confident i have hoses wrong and thats what causes the wheel to keep spinning. It makes sense but he wouldnt give me any more insight than that. He was very short with me.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Very little but there is a little yet. The guy i spoke with was confident i have hoses wrong and thats what causes the wheel to keep spinning. It makes sense but he wouldnt give me any more insight than that. He was very short with me.
As much as it sounds like he wasn't helpful I fully agree with him! If it was me I would be starting at the pistons. I know you said you double checked already but it sounds like the pistons are plumbed the same way. When you touch the wheel and start fluid flowing it pumps the fluid from port closest to the boat(extracting piston) and into the same port on the opposite piston(extending piston). The same happens for the opposite circuit at the opposite end of the piston. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

I would pull off the lines at the pistons and with a helper see where the fluid comes out when rotating the wheel. This will definitely answer the question. The system will need to be bled again but it's worth the effort!

Let me know what you find out!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
As much as it sounds like he wasn't helpful I fully agree with him! If it was me I would be starting at the pistons. I know you said you double checked already but it sounds like the pistons are plumbed the same way. When you touch the wheel and start fluid flowing it pumps the fluid from port closest to the boat(extracting piston) and into the same port on the opposite piston(extending piston). The same happens for the opposite circuit at the opposite end of the piston. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

I would pull off the lines at the pistons and with a helper see where the fluid comes out when rotating the wheel. This will definitely answer the question. The system will need to be bled again but it's worth the effort!

Let me know what you find out!
I hate to sound hard headed but i already took the hoses off the thru hulls to see that i had fluid out of the correct hoses. I did however talk with a tech at cp and he was very helpful.walked me through all the hoses again, but also said the slightest bind on the helm would not let it kick back and just keep spoiling in that direction which makes sense considering my dash isn't consistent thickness.backed the bolts off and once i get it blead again, im hoping that was the ticket.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the hardin kit. I had one hell of a time getting the helm pump, and steering column lined up because of my dash layout and thickness. I had to remove and bore the bolt holes out twice. I finally got it all lined up and I very impressed with the smoothness of the steering now. I still have a little air in the lines also, hopefully it will work its way out. The binding of the helm shaft could throw the alaingment of the valves in the helm pump out of wack and constantly allow high pressure fluid to travel thru the lines until you rotate the wheel again to get them to seal.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I hate to sound hard headed but i already took the hoses off the thru hulls to see that i had fluid out of the correct hoses. I did however talk with a tech at cp and he was very helpful.walked me through all the hoses again, but also said the slightest bind on the helm would not let it kick back and just keep spoiling in that direction which makes sense considering my dash isn't consistent thickness.backed the bolts off and once i get it blead again, im hoping that was the ticket.
Not hard headed, I completely understand. It's always hard to suggest things to check without inadvertently offending the other person. I hope it turns out to be the binding issue!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

I haven't tried running it with the helm loosened up but i don't suppose i should be able to slowly push the drives in either direction?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

If you turn the steering wheel with the engine off...do the drives move correctly? Or does the helm lock up?
Also, when you work through this little dilemma it will be the best upgrade you will have done to your boat
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
If you turn the steering wheel with the engine off...do the drives move correctly? Or does the helm lock up?
Also, when you work through this little dilemma it will be the best upgrade you will have done to your boat
Everything works great til its running. Hydraulic steering is so simple its stupid.I'm totally stumped. It's not like im in over my head. I work on heavy equipment and hydraulics and such everyday. If it wasn't for the ext boxes id be putting the cable/rack back on it before too long.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Let us know your outcome. My kit is still in the box waiting to be installed once we get some nice weather.

I want to make sure I go into this knowing as much as I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.