full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Notices

full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I haven't tried running it with the helm loosened up but i don't suppose i should be able to slowly push the drives in either direction?
If you truly have all the air out you should have no movement. I wonder if your helm pump is defective. Fluid should not move until you turn the wheel.

Was the helm smooth in operation before you connected hydraulic lines?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Everything works great til its running. Hydraulic steering is so simple its stupid.I'm totally stumped. It's not like im in over my head. I work on heavy equipment and hydraulics and such everyday. If it wasn't for the ext boxes id be putting the cable/rack back on it before too long.
Your right it is simple hydraulics. If your steering works without engines running. Either you helm is defective or air in system. I slowly turned mine loc to loc about 50 times with engines not running when bleeding my system. Just using the helm as a displacement pump. I vaguely remember my drives doing what yours are doing. But not for long.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looseconnection
If you truly have all the air out you should have no movement. I wonder if your helm pump is defective. Fluid should not move until you turn the wheel.

Was the helm smooth in operation before you connected hydraulic lines?
I honestly think the helm is all jacked up.it feels and sounds kinda like a racheting affect.and i agree air or not i should not be able to slowly push the drives all the way either diretion
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I had a racheting sound when my steering colum and helm pump body were not aligned properly, it was the teeth not engauging properly from the spline of the steering colum to the female receiver of the helm pump. It felt snug in the dash but what was happening is the bolt was threading against the hole thru the dash and pushing against the face of the helm pump, and it would tighten up and fell solid but untill I looked at it from the under side I didnt know what was going on.

just a thought or you helm pump is all jacked up.

LC
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
I had a racheting sound when my steering colum and helm pump body were not aligned properly, it was the teeth not engauging properly from the spline of the steering colum to the female receiver of the helm pump. It felt snug in the dash but what was happening is the bolt was threading against the hole thru the dash and pushing against the face of the helm pump, and it would tighten up and fell solid but untill I looked at it from the under side I didnt know what was going on.

just a thought or you helm pump is all jacked up.

LC
Plan B: take it out of the dash lay it on the floor and put a vise grip on it and see what that changes.if nothing else itll already be in an easy location to swap out.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

New one on the way.they said if its not that, its the pump which is also new.either way cp will get me taken care of.stay tuned for the outcome
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Good Luck, hope it all works out!

LC
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, here's what you have...working on the same issue on mine...the steering column to help pump is on a bind...loosen the 4 allen bolts that attach them together...about 2 turns each, run the boat...bet makes a difference, slowly tighten them back down noting how the steering acts...if the back side of the dash is not totally flat and square to the front side it creates havoc !!!! trust me...now if loosning the bolts don't make a diff...I have no more for you but I'm 99% sure on this...

Last edited by ezstriper; 03-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Im making one last attempt this afternoon before they ship the new one out monday.i can turn the wheel with two fingers on the top of the wheel.i hope it works so i don't have to make a mess under the dash
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have it figured out but have not got mine back together yet..no time/cold..anyway the column from hardin has a lower bearing and keeps the shaft very strait on true, but I think that is the issue, there's no margin for anything to be off...mine was to short and the pump lines hit the gauges, so I had one made from a supplier that was longer, that one only has a upper bearing and the shaft can move around, which to me should be better as the gears need to mesh for the steering to work right...so my thinking is this setup will be much better...only time will tell...good luck on yours...keep us posted...Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.