full hydraulic steering issue/new install >

full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Notices

full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default full hydraulic steering issue/new install

Just finished up my hyd steering and blead it per the instructions and the problem is if you touch the wheel with it running it takes off until it bottoms out in either direction.it seems like a valve issue but maybe not?either way ill call hardin tomorrow but sometimes an opinion from experience is worth more than an opinion from a tech.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Just finished up my hyd steering and blead it per the instructions and the problem is if you touch the wheel with it running it takes off until it bottoms out in either direction.it seems like a valve issue but maybe not?either way ill call hardin tomorrow but sometimes an opinion from experience is worth more than an opinion from a tech.
Sounds like you have the lines reversed coming from the power steering pump. One line is pressure and one is just a return.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Registered

just ran down to the shop.i market both ends of all the hoses before installing them and i just double checked.my high pressure/supply is in the "p" port like it would be.although i had to switch "a" and "b" to get my direction right.im confident my routing is correct with the exception of the "a/b" thing.its just got me stumped.i find it hard to believe the casted markings are all backwards but maybe ill switch them and try it after i call either hardin or cp.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Is this a single or dual piston setup?

I hate to ask but if dual are you sure you have the pistons plumbed exactly opposite of each other? Another thing to check is the inline cooler, it is directional!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Is this a single or dual piston setup?

I hate to ask but if dual are you sure you have the pistons plumbed exactly opposite of each other? Another thing to check is the inline cooler, it is directional!
It is a twin cylinder set up.plumbed exactly as the drawing (opposite hoses connected) cooler is plumbed in the same direction as was previously with the external setup.the drives are nice and tight and respond exactly to what the wheel is doing.once you steer in either direction, you have to jerk the wheel in the opposite direction to get it to stop. Also thanks for the input!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Air in the hydraulics will do some crazy sh!t. Let it run for a while without touching the wheel, then turn it back and forth never letting the reservoir go dry. If the lines at the rams were wrong it wouldn't turn at all.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
It is a twin cylinder set up.plumbed exactly as the drawing (opposite hoses connected) cooler is plumbed in the same direction as was previously with the external setup.the drives are nice and tight and respond exactly to what the wheel is doing.once you steer in either direction, you have to jerk the wheel in the opposite direction to get it to stop. Also thanks for the input!
Very strange! Not sure what else to check, maybe it is air as lil red said. I see some aggressive jerking of the wheel in mine if I don't work the wheel back and forth as I trim the drives up into trailer mode after shutting the engines off. It's because you are compressing both pistons at the same time as the drives come up and depending on the location of the wheel it doesn't let the pressure equalize. Fist time it did it to me it almost broke my thumb, learned my lesson after that!

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Just got off the phone with hardin.i can't say im too thrilled with their product support.all he told me is i have a line crossed.which i did flip my a and b but that shouldnt affect the operation, just the direction.i guess ill look it over yet again.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

When sitting at static state and the engine is off, is there any play in the drives side to side?
I also believe you still have air in the lines.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered

Just to confirm, it's not just the wheel that's moving right? If you touch the wheel and it turns all the way to lock the drives are also moving all the way to lock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.