Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6???? >

Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6????

Notices

Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6????

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Yes, I got it from boats.net and it had a little rusting going on but not too bad..... It is still very serviceable and needed a little scrubbing but cleaned up with a small amount of pitting remaining...... I am using the RPM Air Gap manifold and feel that using the shield will keep the wind generated oil vortex away from the top of the engine and probably do a better job of keeping the cam/ lifter valley covered in oil......... GM engineers are likely pretty sharp fellas and there is a reason they use the shield so I dont think I will be second guessing them! TBF
TBF, I don't actually recall GM using a splash shield on any of their factory engines. I think the "dogbone" retainer arrangement just happens to double as an impromptu splash shield - it's main function is to act like a spring to hold the lifter retainers down. That being said, it would be interesting to get a back-to-back comparison of temp readings on the area under an air gap manifold to see how much the shield helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spider that bolts to the block and retaines he dog bone lifter guides is certainly unique to all gen 6 hyd roller motors.... The splash shield sits a few inches higher and looks like it does a pretty good job of keeping hot oil off the bottom of the intake...... I am not sure how many engines were equipped with the splash shields but my Gen 6 7.4MPI had one and I have no idea about the Gen 5 or 4 engines...... But again, it was put there for a reason and GM spends millions on R&D and I am not going to question that...... TBF