Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6???? >

Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6????

Notices

Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6????

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the splash shield needed on 502 gen6????

I bought a bare 502 block and assembling the engine now. I am using the Morel lifters with tie bars but I am going to use the stock spider lifter retainer as I read that it aids in dripping oil on the lifters and cam. I do not have the valley tray that sits above that just below the intake and wonder if that is needed?? thanks..... TBF
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I bought a bare 502 block and assembling the engine now. I am using the Morel lifters with tie bars but I am going to use the stock spider lifter retainer as I read that it aids in dripping oil on the lifters and cam. I do not have the valley tray that sits above that just below the intake and wonder if that is needed?? thanks..... TBF
Because of the way lifters are oiled, I can't imagine that dripping oil would be needed. There are two oil galleries that runs front to back in your block intersecting the all of the lifter bores so they get lots of pressurized oil. A valley tray can be useful if it keeps hot oil off the underside of the intake. Cooler intake air = more hp.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 03-18-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if you are using link bar lifters,forget about the spider retainer,it wont be of any use and possibly will interfere with the link bars,and you don,t have to have the tray under the manifold,but it does keep hot oil off of the intake manifold keeping it cooler.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use spider but if possible use heat shield .It wasn't put there for no reason .
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

OK thanks Fellas, yes I am using link bar lifters so no spider, I found the splash shield for around $30 so I will get one and use it... I have an air gap intake and getting it ceramic coated now.... Every little bit of heat rejection will help prevent vapor lock so I will do it. I also think the splash shield will help keep the lifter valley area coated in oil so I will use it....... TBF
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree. Use the splash shield.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Getting my motor going now and I picked up the valley tray brand new for $22?? It was a little rusty but scrubbed up nicely and should last a long time bathed in oil...... Seems like keeping hot oil from hitting the bottom of the intake is a good thing.....TBF
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Getting my motor going now and I picked up the valley tray brand new for $22?? It was a little rusty but scrubbed up nicely and should last a long time bathed in oil...... Seems like keeping hot oil from hitting the bottom of the intake is a good thing.....TBF
You got one new but it was rusty? Not sure I understand. If you bought one from an online retailer, please provide us a link. I might opt for one of these as well, although I wonder if it helps as much when you are running an intake that has an air space under the plenum like the Air Gap and the Dart.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered

Default fixx

50/50 hinedite.....now if your using a single plane intake or a air gap intake you really dont need the splash shield but i always use one just to keep the intake cooler.. definitely if your using a dual plane intake..
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Yes, I got it from boats.net and it had a little rusting going on but not too bad..... It is still very serviceable and needed a little scrubbing but cleaned up with a small amount of pitting remaining...... I am using the RPM Air Gap manifold and feel that using the shield will keep the wind generated oil vortex away from the top of the engine and probably do a better job of keeping the cam/ lifter valley covered in oil......... GM engineers are likely pretty sharp fellas and there is a reason they use the shield so I dont think I will be second guessing them! TBF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.