Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide! >

Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide!

Notices

Swap Shop Resolution – What’s the right thing to do – Let the forum decide!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
NO! What we are saying is that there is no way to verify on your end that you did not install the parts since purchase and cause the problem. Not saying you did but 5-6 months is a whole season for some of us. You should have imeadiately checked out the parts when you recieved them and reported any problems right after delivery, not 6 mos later. Ask the question in reverse. If you sold an engine and 6 mos later the buyer tells you that theres a problem and wants his money back. What are you going to say? This happens all the time. Buyers should check out what they just paid good money for, not wait 6 mos before taking it out of the box.
If asked in reverse, I can honesty say I would work out a deal with the buyer. And in the end, if I had to eat the cost I would.

I took it out of the box, I just didn't disassemble it, didn't think I had to for sh#t sake?
The few hundo isn't going to make or break me in this situation. Just wanted to hear some opinions. I guess the forum has spoken.

I forgive you seller for being an unscrupulous shyster in our dealings, and for your total bi#ch boy move of giving me a negative buyer rating as retaliation for accurately negatively rating my purchasing experience with you.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thing about buying used is "buyer beware". To much time has passed .If you had contacted seller a week later and said stuff wasn't what you expected, probably a different story .Are you talking about "hinge pins" being frozen?.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor
If asked in reverse, I can honesty say I would work out a deal with the buyer. And in the end, if I had to eat the cost I would.

I took it out of the box, I just didn't disassemble it, didn't think I had to for sh#t sake?
The few hundo isn't going to make or break me in this situation. Just wanted to hear some opinions. I guess the forum has spoken.

I forgive you seller for being an unscrupulous shyster in our dealings, and for your total bi#ch boy move of giving me a negative buyer rating as retaliation for accurately negatively rating my purchasing experience with you.
just what is your trying to take apart here .im assuming a gimble housing ??? really not much to them pins and upper seals poss a tiller arm .as far as bad feedback goes what did you really expect to happen .if it was ebay you cant leave feeback aft 30 days never mind 6 months .i can see both sides here .but after all it really has been 6 months .i mean really when is a guy really not liable anymore 1 year
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell thousands of parts a year. I am not exaggerating either, some new, some used. Sometimes I may overlook something with a part unintentionally. Sometimes a buyer may ask for specific details and I can only offer what my opinion is on the part. They recieve it and they feel differently. I alway keep the lines of communication open and try to help. Some people communicate and work it out, some don't and just feel you tried to get over on them when that is not the case.

But one thing is for certain no matter how the deal goes. Whether it is something new or used, $1 or $10,000.......there is a reasonable time frame to inspect and determine if you are ok with the deal you made.

6 months is surely not an ok time frame to expect anyone to give a refund let alone even try to help you out. If you can't look something over and figure if you want it within 2 weeks of recieving it then maybe you should not be buying used parts.

I bought a whole boat and when I got it home it was not as it was supposed to be, missed a season of boating and still not finished with it. My fault for not inspecting better at the time of purchase!!!!

Your fault for waiting 6 months to contact the seller who I know for a fact would have gone out of his way to take care of you!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor

If I had sold you the part in question and you treated me with this kind of attitude and language, I would have told you to go pound sand.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
I sell thousands of parts a year. I am not exaggerating either, some new, some used. Sometimes I may overlook something with a part unintentionally. Sometimes a buyer may ask for specific details and I can only offer what my opinion is on the part. They recieve it and they feel differently. I alway keep the lines of communication open and try to help. Some people communicate and work it out, some don't and just feel you tried to get over on them when that is not the case.

But one thing is for certain no matter how the deal goes. Whether it is something new or used, $1 or $10,000.......there is a reasonable time frame to inspect and determine if you are ok with the deal you made.

6 months is surely not an ok time frame to expect anyone to give a refund let alone even try to help you out. If you can't look something over and figure if you want it within 2 weeks of recieving it then maybe you should not be buying used parts.

I bought a whole boat and when I got it home it was not as it was supposed to be, missed a season of boating and still not finished with it. My fault for not inspecting better at the time of purchase!!!!

Your fault for waiting 6 months to contact the seller who I know for a fact would have gone out of his way to take care of you!!
paul well said . and yes the seller would have taken care of it had it not been 6 months. i just heard the story from the seller myself .ill go 1 step farther myself . send me the gimble and ill help you out jamies a good guy and would help anybody on here as he has me many times .so tell me what you need and we can end this and get back to boating .
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I'm sorry that it sucks, but after 6 months that is quite while to ask for a refund.
And are you talking about the star/torx hinge pins your mechanic can't remove?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Whats done is done.

It appears there is consensus.

An uncle who was the service manager at a large marina for 25 years told me the worst part about owning a boat isn't the cost or constant repairs etc. Its dealing with "Boat guys." I didn't get it at first.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I am an ambassador of paying members here.

With that said, and you should believe it without predjudice, you are taking an opposable and quite frankly, ignorant position.

Are you saying to us all that you are NOT a "boat guy"......

Gordon made you an offer that you did not acknowledge. This is not a member to take lightly. His resources and capabilities most likely exceed the breadth of the entire site. I say this publicly because I know first hand......he can come through when " all else fails"....

You started a thread asking your brethren what your position should be.

You received multiple answers form the brethren that you asked.

All of the answers were reasonable, time-sensitive, and accurate.

No one offers a 6-month warranty on a used mirror. The only way a mirror stops doing it's natural intended job in a 6 month period is if you break it.....unless you never checked your reflection upon receipt.

Strange but accurate analogy. Think about it for a moment.....

Brother.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you waited too long to try and get your money back. 30 days max. Sorry dude, just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.