marine blower carbs >

marine blower carbs

Notices

marine blower carbs

Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marine blower carbs

I have BBC 468 with a 6-71 5-6psi boost, gil exhaust s/s risers, polished/ported heads, copper headgasekt, o-ringed deck with closed cooling. the last accessory item i still need to buy are carbs. i plan on running dual 750cfm vac sec carbs, my dilemma is marine Holley or Edelbrock 1410's, but i can't find any new/reman. eddy 1410's for blower use. was wanting to use edelbrock marine carbs to avoid being concerned with boost referencing the Holley's. or do i just deal with it and go the holley's and get it done.

i can find blower edelbrock carbs 1407's for automotive for cheap on ebay, so how detrimental would be to run these vise getting marine specific blower carbs?
Also, should both carbs have a choke on it or is one carb w/choke enough?

this motor is going into 1984 Formula F3LS with bravo drive. currently has 385 SBC, vortec heads with EMI Thunder exhaust and gets 56MPH w/19 Mirage at 5100 on the gps.

any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by 84f3ls; 03-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can tell you the edelbrocks do NOT work well on a blower set up...tried them...twice...also you want double pumpers and holleys, quick fuel, pro systems, etc and need to be boost referenced...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

+1 also get rid of the copper head gaskets,,thats old school and they will leak...change them now b4 you hydraulic the engine..go with some mls gaskets and not the procomp's either..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Registered

sorry i disagree on boost referencing the carbs on a draw thru system like a 6-14 - 71 system . thats for " blow thru systems " .
and yes you can use standard " non marine " carbs on your system . as EZSTRIPER sais double pumper carbs work best on these vs vacume secondary .
im using quick fuel carbs on mine .
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
+1 also get rid of the copper head gaskets,,thats old school and they will leak...change them now b4 you hydraulic the engine..go with some mls gaskets and not the procomp's either..
I just want to comment on the copper head gaskets: If he is using a solid copper only relying on sealant to seal the water ports, he will have a leakage issue, that being on a open raw water system with pressure spikes and above 14 psi. It being a closed system, probably not. I use copper head gaskets, that have a graphite insert at the water ports or I use a solid graphite, with a copper 1 piece fire ring connected to all the cylinders on 1 bank. They will not leak, have been using them for over 10 yrs.
If he only machined for a o-ring, using stainless wire, or steel wire and did not cut a receiver groove in the head, the job was 1/2 done. To make it 100%, a receiver groove must be cut into head. MLS gaskets are a great gasket! I just wanted to be clear about copper head gaskets. There's more to the copper gasket I use; in comparing it to the standard solid copper gasket bought from others.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered

I have a set of AED 750 blower carbs that I bought here used in the swap shop and went N/A instead.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Registered

i appreciate the comments and recommendations. this is my first bbc and blower motor. the motor was built by 75yr guy that been building motors for long time and used to drag race a lot back in the 70's. i feel pretty confident at this point that he built a good quality motor. but time will tell.

Flyin-Brian- if those AED carbs would work well for my setup, i would like to get them from ya. just pm your email address or something so we can work something out if interested in selling.

i'm currently deployed on a aircraft carrier in the gulf, but should be back home around summer time, i'm planning to get this new motor in the boat as soon as i get home. its sittin in my garage nicely wrapped and waiting me.

Last edited by 84f3ls; 03-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84f3ls
i appreciate the comments and recommendations. this is my first bbc and blower motor. the motor was built by 75yr guy that been building motors for long time and used to drag race a lot back in the 70's. i feel pretty confident at this point that he built a good quality motor. but time will tell.

Flyin-Brian- if those AED carbs would work well for my setup, i would like to get them from ya. just pm your email address or something so we can work something out if interested in selling.

i'm currently deployed on a aircraft carrier in the gulf, but should be back home around summer time, i'm planning to get this new motor as soon as i get home.

Send Me an e-mail by clicking on My User name,thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyd
sorry i disagree on boost referencing the carbs on a draw thru system like a 6-14 - 71 system . thats for " blow thru systems " .
and yes you can use standard " non marine " carbs on your system . as EZSTRIPER sais double pumper carbs work best on these vs vacume secondary .
im using quick fuel carbs on mine .
well I disagree...blower setups like that produce so much vacuum at the carb base that if you dont boost ref the power valve channel to a different source the power valve will not open thus leaning out the engine...been there...thats also why the edelbrocks don't work..same deal..so much vacuum the primary power pistons never rise and they run lean as hell...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84f3ls

i'm currently deployed on a aircraft carrier in the gulf, but should be back home around summer time, i'm planning to get this new motor as soon as i get home.
you aren't in the 6th fleet are you ? my son is on the farragut over there now...due back in next month...been there since june..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.