Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What exactly does "Motors have been Freshened" Mean? >

What exactly does "Motors have been Freshened" Mean?

Notices

What exactly does "Motors have been Freshened" Mean?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The only industry standard I have seen printed regarding "re-freshened" was related to Febreeze.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It means YOU will have to refresh the engines within 6 months after the purchase
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I speak from experience!!! LOL

I once acquired a set of engines that had 48 hours on them...and 0 hours on the upper end.

As it turned out, I do believe that a zero had been left off of the hour figure. Live and learn...and I'm gettin smarter every day!!!
Whew! Glad I am not the only sucker out there...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TC G
So "Freshened" Means Nothing
in the trade it means they took a good running engine with medium hours and no faults, did a hone and rings, bearings and a valve job andput it back together. no structural work.

having said that the caveats mentioned above all apply just like everything else. if its fresh it should have , effectively zero leakdown and they should be able to show you some documentation and, of course , like all things, if they screwed it up then they screwed it up. if the motors are sitting on the floor, dyno them with purchase predicated on results. if they are in the boat then i would think a serious sea trial is in order. there are going to be risks no matter what you do and what they claim. unless you were standing there when they went together , there is no way to know anything as amatter of certainty.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 177 Likes on 65 Posts

So I think you can see that "freshened" can mean anything from a fresh coat of paint (or Armor All) to maybe some light valve train work. Ask to see receipts proving what "freshened" meant to your particular motor(s).
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

freshened may mean anything . If you want a laugh look up the definition of rebuild or reman. That's why it's important to know exactly what went in a motor and who did the work .I agree with stevsxm as to what it is supposed to mean .Most people don't know what they have

Last edited by motor; 03-22-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

I had my engines freshened by a great place.
They had the blowers gone through at the Blower Shop, put in new valves, and valve springs, plugs, wires, ck compresion, and made sure everything was correct. When we sold it we had all the receipts ready for them, it was what it was, in darn good shape for a used boat.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

freshened means they put babypowder on the engine and change the diaper.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Like Steve said, it should mean that the engine or drive has been rebuilt. You need to take that with a grain of salt but there are things you can look for, like new engine gaskets (unless they painted the whole engine after assembly). Also look for bolts that look like they've been removed recently. Look for clean oil. Do a compression test if you can.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Like Steve said, it should mean that the engine or drive has been rebuilt. You need to take that with a grain of salt but there are things you can look for, like new engine gaskets (unless they painted the whole engine after assembly). Also look for bolts that look like they've been removed recently. Look for clean oil. Do a compression test if you can.
well... thats NOT what i said... the term " rebuild " in my world, means something else entirely and involves machine work and lots of new hard parts that start with zero hours... and easy example... a " freshend " motor will have the original pistons cleaned, inspected and with new rings. a " rebuilt " motor will ( or better ) have new pistons.... stuff like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.