Gas tank plate >

Gas tank plate

Notices

Gas tank plate

Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank plate

So last year I talked with youngs performance about modifying my gas tank so I could return the fuel to the gas tank. So our plan turned out good. I have aluminum tanks and I made a plate that screws on top of the tank that has the inlet and return line in it. I made my own cork gasket to seal the plate to the tank then screwed it down. It works but I get some leakage around the plate when I have full tanks due to the plate being in the very back of the boat. I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on a better way to seal the plate. I was thinking about using some kind of sealer/silicone around the edges, but wasn't sure if that would work. And if it would work which type of sealer/silicone work u recommend? Thanks again
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I would screw it down with a bead of Seal All in between. I have used it to patch a few tanks with no issues. You can buy it at your automotive store.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i would worry about the cork swelling,i like the right stuff sealant,its the best sealer i have found.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Registered

So should I leave the cork and seal around the edges of the plate or remove the cork and use the silicone as the gasket under the plate.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Registered

Is the right stuff fuel resistant?? I went to permatex website and looks like the #2 stuff is fuel resistant, but my dad has the right stuff in his garage so if that will work I will use that
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by conquest30'
Is the right stuff fuel resistant?? I went to permatex website and looks like the #2 stuff is fuel resistant, but my dad has the right stuff in his garage so if that will work I will use that
two things... silicone is not fuel proof at all... so thats not going to work for you and i was not aware of any permatex product that is fuel proof unless they have added to their product line.

every fuel cell in the world has an access panel that has either a rubber or cork gasket on it . i would have prefered the rubber myself but the cork SHOULD work if the surfaces are good. if you are looking to use a compound on it because of bad surfaces i would suggest a good two part epoxy. and if it were me doing it, i would soak a cured piece of whatever i chose in a sealed jar of fuel for a few days just to see if it softened up.

i had a crew member that put permatex on a fuel cell gasket once and 1/2 way thru the race the car just stopped dead. the permatex had disolved and contaminated the fuel and clogged the fuel filters solid. and that package actually said ( he pointed out just before i fired him ) " fuel resistant "
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

there is a big difference between "resistant" and "proof"...think watches..a water "resistant" watch can get splashed and be ok... go swimming with it and it might be a whole nother story... A water proof watch will be happy in the pool.....
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the right stuff is fuel resistant,it is not like regular silicone,but if you are worried,you can get a sheet of ,062 rubber and make a gasget,once again,i would not use cork,it,s just asking for trouble down the road.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

There is a product called gasola
It is a pipe joint compound used in the gasaline industry on threaded joints and flanges on mateing surfaces.good stuff and it is simi-plyable.you can get it at any plumbing/hvac supplyer.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Dow Corning 730 will do the trick. We use it all the time, it is essentialy fuel proof. Not inexpensive however.

http://krayden.com/tds/dow_730_tds.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.