Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Battery ????? >

Battery ?????

Notices

Battery ?????

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses !!! Looks like Optima is OUT !!! Thanks again !!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 4,252 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Optima=boat anchor
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NightHawk
You can't beat the AGM (absorbed glass matt) batteries, whatever the brand. I switched after breaking two separate Exide 1000CCA cranking batteries from wake hopping.

The AGM's are tough as a brick, don't self discharge and work in any position. I've had the same two Seavolt AGM's from West Marine for 5 years now.
I have the same one installed in my race car since 1997. Ive totally discharged it 4-5 times and every time it comes right back and works perfectly (til I do it again)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered

Default Sears Diehard Platinum

Forget Optimuck. They hold less plate surface area because of their spiral design. The gel interior is not a favorable medium for effective recovery charge. They basically fry themselves during recharge, damaging the cells. One bad cell bank drags down the rest of the battery...and any other batteries connected. Any hopes of safely recharging a dead Optima must be done on the lowest charger setting. The only advantage to spiral gel Optima batteries is they can be mounted directly upside down.

Sears dumped the Optima line of batteries after too many defective claims. Sears contracted with Odyssey a division of Johnson Controls. Odyssey, (formerly Hawker battery, military contract) provides Sears with their Platinum Series...same exact AGM battery in a grey case instead of red....go ahead, compare the specifications. AGM batteries can be mounted in any position, EXCEPT DIRECTLY UPSIDE DOWN.

Now, your better off buying the regular grey Platinum battery for the one extra year of pro-rated warranty. The Marine series offers one less year of warranty because they know the battery sits without a charge for extended periods of time.
And try to buy your batteries on the one Sunday of the month called "friends & family day" for an additional discount.

Odyssey Batteries offer comparable warranty, shipping included, and are warrantied over the phone...because Odyssey has limited distributors throughout the country. I'd rather just drive to the local Sears if I have any problems.

I have no experience with Interstate Batteries, but I wouldn't consider any battery that wasn't an AGM technology battery. The increased reserve power alone is the reason...especially when your out in the middle of nowhere and you realize you left something on......click...click, click.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Registered

Default group 34/78 side terminal problems

...forgot to mention, and this really only applies to automotive GM side terminals like the ones found in Yukon's and Denali's. I thought it would be worth mentioning since many of us tow with these vehicles.

For a time, there was an issue of side terminal connection failure leading to the vehicle not starting...meanwhile the battery would test adequately under load test using the top posts. (Dual terminal 34/78)

The problem was two fold.
Installation technicians had over torqued the side terminals, stressing the connection inside the battery.
Driving vibration also exacerbated this condition when battery terminal leads did not provide proper slack.

Remedy: install and torque batteries yourself, slack the wire leads, install non-combustible padding and rubber straps to reduce vibration.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll admit I'm extremely rough on my batteries and I now use Kinetik powercells. With all the different batteries I've tried, nothing else has come close. No onboard charger or generator but I can push 90+db out of my stereo for 6 hours in the cove with zero performance loss and still spin the engine over at the end of the day with ease. A battery tender goes on after each day. I have an Interstate deep cycle backup battery that I can switch to in an emergency but I've never needed to.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Registered

Default interstate

Amazing....I've never had any luck with interstate, 2 years at most with an onboard charger. Locally, I buy my batteries at Academy, just had a sale 1000 cca starting/deepcycle for 49.99, you can't beat that.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m going on my 6th season with 2 Vita-Plate starting batteries and 1 Deca deep cycle “house battery” I believe these are made by East Penn which suppose to be good. Sounds like by some Interstate is a great way to go.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

All my batteries all started failing on the 3rd season. Decided to installed Lifeline batteries March 2011 and hope they will last longer do to write ups. Put an Odyssey in the watercraft at the same time. Hope this season works out better.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Die-hard/Interstate..i have a 1999 still using, a 2001 that had to replace last summer, a 2004 still using, a 1990 that made it until 1999. So i am repeatedly get over 10 years from these batteries. I keep buying them, they last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.