re coloring hardware >

re coloring hardware

Notices

re coloring hardware

Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re coloring hardware

any one ever had there cleets vents ect. re colored. i am having some parts redone was wandering to go with anodizing or powdercoating.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both will wear. however, powder when worn thru cant really be touched up. annodizing at least can be polished to make bright again and sometimes a lil "sharpie" comes in handy.

if you go with anodizing, use a good carnuba hard wax all over the part. it will help maintain the sheen and wear.

one of my favorites is http://www.autogeek.net/wenol1.html
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Anodizing fades from my experience. Powdercoat will maintain its color. You can touch up small chips on powedrcoat with matching paint.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat originally came with the “white out package” from the factory in 1997( Cleats, rails, bolster frames, grab handles, etc.) that was all painted white hardware. When I got the boat in 2006 there were chips and scratches on the hardware. In 2007 I stripped everything off the boat that was painted white from the factory and had everything powder coated white. The durability is night and day from the factory white paint. I still have zero chips or scratches thru the powder coat. If you get a light scratch in it you can rub it out with compound. The powder coat guy did say the prep on the metal hardware was weak, all my pieces were sand/bead blasted prior to powder coat, the factory prep job didn’t seem to be.