Non Vortec to Vortec swap. >

Non Vortec to Vortec swap.

Notices

Non Vortec to Vortec swap.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Non Vortec to Vortec swap.

I have a 79 Formula F18 with a Merc 260. I got a set of reconditioned Vortec 350 heads for $250 from a machinist buddy. I have a few questions that I have not been able to answer with the search button. I am going to use Fel Pro 17030 - Fel-Pro PermaTorque Multi-Layer Steel Head Gaskets. Can I re-use my stock head bolts? Then I am brought to the intake manifold. I would like to use a Performer Air-Gap manifold. My question with the manifold is the water neck mount appears to be about an inch higher than stock, will my stock water circulating hose reach it? I dont want to eliminate the circulating pump.

So my setup will be a stock shortblock, vortec heads, edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb, and GLM exhaust. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 79formula
I have a 79 Formula F18 with a Merc 260. I got a set of reconditioned Vortec 350 heads for $250 from a machinist buddy. I have a few questions that I have not been able to answer with the search button. I am going to use Fel Pro 17030 - Fel-Pro PermaTorque Multi-Layer Steel Head Gaskets. Can I re-use my stock head bolts? Then I am brought to the intake manifold. I would like to use a Performer Air-Gap manifold. My question with the manifold is the water neck mount appears to be about an inch higher than stock, will my stock water circulating hose reach it? I dont want to eliminate the circulating pump.

So my setup will be a stock shortblock, vortec heads, edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb, and GLM exhaust. What do you guys think?
dont use a multi layer gasket,,you need to have the block and head surface lookin loke chtome to get then to seal on a small block..use the felpro regular marine head gasket,,grey in color..

that intake will work fine,,if you feel that you have to stretch it to get it to fit you can either order one for a big block or cut the hose and put a piece of copper pipe between it to legnth it..

also make sure you use the stock self aleighing rocker arms,you cant use a non vortech rocker like the ones that came on the stock engine ,,,they will fall off center of the tip of the valve.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Is this the right gasket Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets Q17030 ?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Registered

What keeps my current rockers in alignment?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 79formula
What keeps my current rockers in alignment?
yes those,,the holes in the head that the pushrods go through keep then straight..also but new head bolts,,their cheap and make sure they are sealed,,some of the holes go into water passages and will get into the oil if they are not sealed..
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Parts list is getting long, head gaskets, head bolts, intake gaskets, intake bolts, carb gasket, exhaust gaskets, centerbolt valve covers, valve cover gaskets, and rockers. wow i thought this would be cheap. I assume these are the bolts ?

Last edited by 79formula; 03-31-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

I have rebuilt 6.0 diesels, FE Fords, and motorcycles. This is my first try at the most popular engine ever produced.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the most popular and the cheapest for bying parts!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't skimp on the head bolts...get new ones...you'll be glad you did.

I think you will be happy with the results you get using the Vortec heads and intake. You will pick up 50~60 horse and about as much torque...and you will feel that. If you can swing it go for a Holley or Quick Fuel Mechanical Secondary Carburetor....better throttle response and better fuel economy.

With the right tuning and prop you have 65 MPH potential with that power in that boat....the F-18 starts to chine walk at about 60 so hold on tight. If you haven't done it already put a set of Bennett Trim Tabs on that boat. I had the same boat in '77 thru '86 and that made a tremendous difference in the way my F-18 handled and rode.

Last edited by sprink58; 03-31-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

boy is that a sleeper too. except for the word Formula on the side, it looks like every other square-windshielded late 70's small boat where the handling above 60 mph is not EVER gonna be an issue...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.