Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
575SCI throttle body upgrades?? >

575SCI throttle body upgrades??

Notices

575SCI throttle body upgrades??

Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good to me. I'll keep you posted on the progress Joe.
Eddie
Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

www.killerrons.com

Also custom intakes for EFI / MPI intakes & throttle bodies KCS seems to be the latest ticket for some of the builders at the 2014 engine master challenge.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I started playing around today with the injection on a 575 sci. I'm trying to come up with 2 different setups. The biggest issue that I see is the height. I'm trying not to raise it up by more than 3/4" or so, so that it will fit in most apps.The other issue is cost. Replacing the throttle bodies, injectors, injector plate, etc. is not going to be cheap. Just the parts alone will be 2K+. This setup will be easy to make. It just won't be cheap and it will add at least an inch to the height.

The first thing I'm going to try is to keep the stock throttle bodies. I removed the fuel injectors and all of their associated crap.It's amazing how much it opens up the throat of the throttle body. Since they are a 2 barrel with a 3 bolt pattern, there is nothing out there that will allow them to bolt up to a supercharger and hold injectors. I started making a pattern and will just make my own injector plate/throttle body mount. I'll basically make it similar to the existing throttle body mount, but it will be thicker so that it can hold the injectors. It should only raise the height by 1/2" or less. The existing plate isn't thick enough to house the injectors, so I'll just make a thicker one. I'm trying to get something together as a bolt on/turn key deal that will be in the $1500 neighborhood. It will be a new injector plate/throttle body mount, injectors, fuel rails, injector wiring pigtail, injector block off plate for throttle bodies, etc. Hopefully I can get it done pretty quickly and for the right price. This will eliminate the crappy injectors and replace them with an off the shelf EV1 injector that is readily available and pretty cheap. It should also give better fuel distribution throughout the blower.

What do you 575 owners think? Is this something that interests you?
Eddie
Interested-yes
Unfortunately I don't have a 1/2" clearance to work with. My air cleaner kisses the hatch with the IC's already.
Would it also be a plug and play? Everything runs perfect as it is now.
I've also been thinking about installing TBS replacement blowers.
With that said, how about a complete Whipple kit? No more clearance problems.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

The existing throttle body adapter plate is .800 thick. I'm going to try to make it out of 1" material, so it would only be .200 taller. Not sure if it will give me enough room or not. I need to make one anyway, so if it doesn't give me enough room for the injectors, then I'll just use it for a pattern for the CNC.

I'm going to try to make it as simple as possible. It should be something that anyone with average skills can put on. The only thing I'm not sure of is tuning. I need to get my hands on a bone stock 575, put this on it and check the tune. Most of the ones that I see have been modified in some way.....cam change, higher boost, intercooler, etc.
Eddie
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Interested-yes
Unfortunately I don't have a 1/2" clearance to work with. My air cleaner kisses the hatch with the IC's already.
Would it also be a plug and play? Everything runs perfect as it is now.
I've also been thinking about installing TBS replacement blowers.
With that said, how about a complete Whipple kit? No more clearance problems.
I believe Whipple already has a solution, however you are well over $10k per engine.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The existing throttle body adapter plate is .800 thick. I'm going to try to make it out of 1" material, so it would only be .200 taller. Not sure if it will give me enough room or not. I need to make one anyway, so if it doesn't give me enough room for the injectors, then I'll just use it for a pattern for the CNC.

I'm going to try to make it as simple as possible. It should be something that anyone with average skills can put on. The only thing I'm not sure of is tuning. I need to get my hands on a bone stock 575, put this on it and check the tune. Most of the ones that I see have been modified in some way.....cam change, higher boost, intercooler, etc.
Eddie
So why build for a stock engine then?

Will the ev style injector operate safely at the stock 28-32 lbs of fuel pressure? As you know the regulator system is not easy to access or change.

I would be interested in a solution. I do not run IC. My engines are full roller, hot cam, increased boost and a few other mods. I am running a 120 degree stat with my custom tune. Bungs installed and ready to experiment.

I am currently tuned to about 10.7 afr under full boost at 5800 rpm. I may push it into the 11s to clean it up with better fuel distribution.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock tunes suck anyway. Would be nice if it at least would run with a stock or close to stock tune so it could be tuned in the boat.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of stockers! I have been looking at the dyers 8-71 kits, would I need this injector upgrade for something like this and do I need to change out the cams or fuel system.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 82predictor
I have a pair of stockers! I have been looking at the dyers 8-71 kits, would I need this injector upgrade for something like this and do I need to change out the cams or fuel system.
Didn't we have the full roller conversion conversation last year, over the sound of my engine idling? There is a lot of hp on the table from a stock 575, and the cam is a big part of it.

However, you don't "need" to change the cams to wake it up.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
So why build for a stock engine then?

Will the ev style injector operate safely at the stock 28-32 lbs of fuel pressure? As you know the regulator system is not easy to access or change.

I would be interested in a solution. I do not run IC. My engines are full roller, hot cam, increased boost and a few other mods. I am running a 120 degree stat with my custom tune. Bungs installed and ready to experiment.

I am currently tuned to about 10.7 afr under full boost at 5800 rpm. I may push it into the 11s to clean it up with better fuel distribution.
I'm certainly not making it just as a stock replacement. However, there are quite a few stockers still out there so I want to have something for them. The cal is really the only thing that will be specific to the stockers. We can change the injector size to suit anyone's needs.

The low pressure is certianly not ideal. I would much rather see 40 psi at a min. The stock pump and pressure is going to limit power anyway, so we are going to have to change that at some point. It not that big of a deal to eliminate the stock pump and regulator and just bypass it. Hell, it could even stay in place if wanted. We can just mount a new pump in the boat and install a regulator on the rails. The biggest issue I see (for some boats) is going to be returning the fuel. I really don't like returning it to the filter head. I would much prefer going to the tank. That's tough on some boats, especially ones with more than 1 tank/engine.(ie. a Fountain with saddle tanks) Then it requires a switching valve and all of the associated plumbing. It starts to add up quickly.

I'll play around with the injectors at 30 psi and see how they do. I built an injector flow bench so I can vary the pressure and see how the flow and patterns are doing. I don't like the fact that the stock setup sends pre-regulated fuel to the rails. I would rather send the full volume of fuel to the rails and let the regulator bleed off the excess. I'll take a look at the stock setup and see if anything can be done. There are adjustable regulators out there that may be an option.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.