Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil? >

Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil?

Notices

Can Oil Cooler Leak Water into Oil?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Im not sure what you're suggesting I was wrong or "incorrect" on. Yes, I can see a heat exchanger leaking, and possibly introducing water in the oil.

The reason I suggested possibly is being a intake leak, is two reasons.

#1 he said he had a new oil cooler.

#2 This problem arose once low water pickups were installed.

My guess, purely based off the original information, was installing the low water pickups caused a major increase in system pressure. I would think the brand new oil cooler springing a leak from this, would be less likely than a intake gasket blowing or weeping, due to the high water pressure.

The joints on a cooler are built to withstand some pressure. Considering they were new (both), I cant see 30,40,50, or even 60psi of water pressure blowing a solder joint on the exchanger, considering we regularly put 70,80, 90, or more of oil psi thru them.

Ive rigged stuff up to psi test a complete system, from the thermostat outlets to the sea pump feed line, to check for leaks with compressed air. I'd think any good marine tech should be able to diagnose and find the leak in short time. Like you said, it could be cracked block, head gasket, head bolts, oil cooler, cracked head, or, intake gaskets. Intake gaskets being my first suspect in this scenario, considering they aren't designed to withstand extreme pressure, and usually first to go.

i was only suggesting that mr " fixx" and yours absolute certainty that the cooler couldn't possibly be at fault because oil always goes to water was not correct and i was sure you guys both knew that since it happens all the time. . it may not be the most likely possibility but very possible and common. thats all.