This is how guages are made...? >

This is how guages are made...?

Notices

This is how guages are made...?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is how guages are made...?

160 mph Gaffrig speedo quage in a 2003 38 ft boat. Guage works, then stops working. Gaffrig says it's the battery, I need to send the whole antenna with wiring to them so they can install another battery. They say this has to be done yearly....

I think this is nuts, and they say that they have a new antenna that takes it's power from Speedo, they can sell me new antenna with wiring, but I have to install wiring. But, for a few bucks they can solder wiring into new fitting so its as simple as unplug and plug new wiring back in.

Here is the problem. There is NO fitting on the back of the speedo. There is a hole in canister where 3 wires stick up directly from a circuit board. When I unplug old wiring I see that the 3 wires are bent to the 4 winds ( From boat shop pluging in one of their extra senders that didn't work either).

No fitting, just 3 wires. I straighten wires to the point that new plug on cable from new antenna will attach. Yet, wires will go in two ways, 180 degress opposite of each way. Fitting has 3 holes for wires, can be turned 180 degress and plugged in. There is a sticker on speedo that says: "WARNING incorrect hookup will damage product."

I sent email to Gaffrig and will call them Monday morning. Thing is, these things are not cheap and this seems very cheesy to me! Not to mention, where cable connects to antenna it just sticks on, even has collar, but collar does not screw on even though there are threads on shaft but not on collar, it just kind of sticks to it....

Biggest concern is which way to connect cable into back of speedo. Not happy about how this thing is constructed.

This boat cost $650,000 new in 2003. Was this the best available back then?

Rick
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Common issue with the GPS speedo gauges of that era. It has been discussed on here a few times.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

yep,gaffrig,livoursi,autoweter all the same deal,but their is a way to hook it to your garman gps and the speedo will work and you wont need the antenna that needs the battery every year..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Common issue with the GPS speedo gauges of that era. It has been discussed on here a few times.
Dealing with the same issue. Any tips on what to search or what threads to look for?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
yep,gaffrig,livoursi,autoweter all the same deal,but their is a way to hook it to your garman gps and the speedo will work and you wont need the antenna that needs the battery every year..
Well, I've got an antenna that gets its power from the speedo's power supply. I have heard of speedos that have the antenna in them. Any idea of which way to insert the connector into the back of the speedo onto the 3 wires?

I don't have a garmin GPS. My boat is a hustler talon 377.

Last edited by TahoeRick; 04-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered

Someone must have dealt with this problem. Can the fitting be installed either way or is there a specific way to slid it on the 3 wires?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Nobody here know how to do this??
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just call Livorsi and have them swap out the unit. I have not done it yet on my personal boat, but it's not a big deal.

Search "GPS speedo dead" and "GPS speedometer dead"

Some folks have had success soldering in their own replacement battery.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just call Livorsi and have them swap out the unit. I have not done it yet on my personal boat, but it's not a big deal.

Search "GPS speedo dead" and "GPS speedometer dead"

Some folks have had success soldering in their own replacement battery.
Thanks! Just spent the better part of an hour reading threads. Found one with a picture of my unit but it has a fitting on the back - mine has a hole with 3 spikes. Found another thread where guy talks about 3 spikes - just like mine. My internal battery antenna is history - in the garbage - ruined by battery replacement attempt!

Back to my original post, NO fitting just 3 spikes that bend very easily sticking up from circuit board. Cheapest, worthless set up I have ever seen. Will call Gaffrig Monday morning.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Thanks! Just spent the better part of an hour reading threads. Found one with a picture of my unit but it has a fitting on the back - mine has a hole with 3 spikes. Found another thread where guy talks about 3 spikes - just like mine. My internal battery antenna is history - in the garbage - ruined by battery replacement attempt!

Back to my original post, NO fitting just 3 spikes that bend very easily sticking up from circuit board. Cheapest, worthless set up I have ever seen. Will call Gaffrig Monday morning.
well you got 10 yrs out of it...RIP old antenna...i think the new one should have a replacible battery..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.