496HO TPS low range?

Notices

496HO TPS low range?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496HO TPS low range?

Hi guys!

I just did a pre-startup test on my engines for the weekends startup.

I just put the ignition on and tested to see if they ware able to crank. They did crank but after 0,5 sec I got an an alarm from my Smartcraft system saying TPS low range on stb engine.

I know this is the throttle position sensor, but is it dangerous to start her up in the weekend anyway? I just tested to crank her for 0,5 sec to see before I take her out of the garage. Could this error code be just that I didnt fully crank her?

I will check for loose connections and corrosion but I doubt it.

Please give me some feedback about this, it dosent seem to be that common..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skidolof
Hi guys!

I just did a pre-startup test on my engines for the weekends startup.

I just put the ignition on and tested to see if they ware able to crank. They did crank but after 0,5 sec I got an an alarm from my Smartcraft system saying TPS low range on stb engine.

I know this is the throttle position sensor, but is it dangerous to start her up in the weekend anyway? I just tested to crank her for 0,5 sec to see before I take her out of the garage. Could this error code be just that I didnt fully crank her?

I will check for loose connections and corrosion but I doubt it.

Please give me some feedback about this, it dosent seem to be that common..
From the PCM diagnostics manual:
What is a TPI/TPS High or Low Range fault?
The TPI/TPS sensor diagnostic fault calibration within the ECM, can alert the technician of a fault condition where the sensor is above or below the normal operating range. This fault is not the same as an open or short circuit fault. Possible causes may be loose or
misadjusted throttle linkage and excessive wear on components connected to the TPI/TPS.
Go ahead and start it and see if it gives the same error code.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Thanks, Ill test this weekend!

Everything was working fine when I took her out of the water in Oktober so I dont think there is any misadjusted throttle linkage..

Is there a manual online for the smartcraft system? Can i check the engine with it the same way as Rinda scan tool? Cant find any reset error code...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Hi again, I need help!

Ive tested to move the TPS sensor from stb to port and the other way around, smartcraft still complains on low range TPS on stb side? That would rule out a bad sensor I guess?

And now I also get engine fault critical on both starboard and port engine?

Is there a way to get more info out of the smartcraft or do I need to hook up a scantool?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scan it, with all the electronics on modern motors you will be chasing your tail for days.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

But will I see something different from what I see in the Smartcraft? Isint that the same system?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered

Much more info is available on the scan tool . The actual TPS output voltage for one. The manual states it should be .7 volts at idle and 4.5 Volts at WOT.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

Should i be able to measure that with a regular fluke? I live far off where the scanners are hard to find but Ill see if I can locate one.

BUT, after todays fail search, the engine fail alarm goes off when I turn the ignition on, and comes back when turn ignition off ( no problem just as it should be then)

The strange thing with the TPS sensor is that i I give the throttle for the port engine 1/2 gas then alarm stops?!

Port side works fine, if I move the sensor from port side to strb and vice verse the error stays the same, no matter of which sensor I use. I need to have the throttle at 1/2 on strb for the alarm to stop?

The throttle axles have the same position.

Conclusion: Sensor is ok.

Now what?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skidolof
Should i be able to measure that with a regular fluke? I live far off where the scanners are hard to find but Ill see if I can locate one.

BUT, after todays fail search, the engine fail alarm goes off when I turn the ignition on, and comes back when turn ignition off ( no problem just as it should be then)

The strange thing with the TPS sensor is that i I give the throttle for the port engine 1/2 gas then alarm stops?!

Port side works fine, if I move the sensor from port side to strb and vice verse the error stays the same, no matter of which sensor I use. I need to have the throttle at 1/2 on strb for the alarm to stop?

The throttle axles have the same position.

Conclusion: Sensor is ok.

Now what?
You could check the sensor with a fluke when the cap is not attached. It's a simple rheostat device.

The difficulty would be checking its operation while the cap is on. There's no easy access to the connections for using a fluke. You may be able to identify the correct pins on the computer connector however. They are easier to get to with a meter even when connected.

The cap and wire connections to the TPS may very well be the problem. They are fragile. My friend had a rough time tracking down a bad connnection to his seawater presure sensor cap on his 496.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Registered

Ok, but if I move the sensor to the port engine it works fine!

So there must be something else then the sensor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.